Featured post

Mayfield v Corkbeg 30 Aug 2003

Mayfieldx  v Corkbegx 30 Aug 2003
Match details below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.

Mayfield Utd

Mayfield United 3 Corkbeg 2

Mayfield Utd gained their first win of the season when they held on to defeat visitors Corkbeg 3-2 in AUL 1B on Saturday. The Beg, unbeaten during their championship campaign in AUL 2B last season, haven't won a match yet this season.

But they should have had taken something from this game of many talking points on a magnificent surface in Mayfield. The Beg were three down after enduring a torrid first half in which they conceded an own goal, saw a Steve O'Donoghue effort deflected wide off a post and two penalty decisions go against them. Besides, they lost defender Christy O'Shea to injury.

They fought well in the second half and pulled two back, ironically one from a spotter. They came close on a few occasions to an equaliser, desperately unlucky to see a cracking shot by Aidan Cotter go wide off the far post with keeper Brian Ramsell well beaten.

The Mayfield management duo of Declan Keane and Tony Carroll were relieved at the final whistle. Earlier in the week, they had seen their team go two up against Churchvilla but the tie ended at 2-2. Keane, even at the break on Saturday, was pointing to the value of the third goal, scored from a hotly disputed penalty just a few minutes earlier.

The Beg were nearly undone in the first minute. Mayfield worked their way in from the kick off but Simon O'Leary drove straight at keeper Paul O'Reilly.

O'Leary had better luck, O'Reilly worse, in the 9th minute. O'Reilly had made a good save from a deflected shot by Dave Kenny. Simon got his head to the corner and O'Reilly had it covered until one of his defenders intervened and deflected it into the net.

Mayfield scored a fine goal three minutes later. A strong run by Alan Costello started the move. Kenny crossed and Alan Kelly headed in at the far post. A good move and a good finish to make it 2-0.

It could have been 3-0 in the next minute. Kenny went down under a challenge from Jason Ryan but Kenny's penalty kick was saved by O'Reilly to keep the match very much alive.

The Beg had hard lines midway through. A sweet passing move, involving Damien O'Driscoll, Cotter and Ronan Forde, ended with O'Donoghue turning and shooting from close range. But his effort took a deflection and went behind off a post. Then an O'Donoghue volley was well saved by Mayfield keeper Brain Ramsell.

The losers continued to take the game to Mayfield but were caught on the break in the 44th minute. Kenny raced onto a long ball and into the box where he was brought down. This time, Kelly took the spotter and made it 3-0.

Corkbeg piled on the pressure in the third quarter. Ramsell, one of the Mayfield aces, made a fine save from Ryan. Then Ryan muscled his way through the heart of the Mayfield defence and passed forward for O'Driscoll who was very unlucky to see his speeding strike clip the top of the bar. Denis O'Sullivan was next to try but his long range drive was well saved by the home keeper.

There was a let off for Corkbeg in the 59th minute. Mick Brosnan's long free found Kenny racing in behind the defence. His lob beat the advancing keeper but came back into play off a post.

The East Cork lads got one back on the hour. A dangerous run by O'Driscoll produced a corner. That broke to Forde and he rifled it home from 14 yards.

The second Corkbeg goal came from a 72nd minute penalty, awarded after a foul on O'Driscoll and well taken by Niall Falvey. O'Driscoll then raced away after a poor Mayfield free but keeper Ramsell again came to the rescue.

The pressure stayed on the home defence and again Ramsell had to dash from his line, beating the incoming Cotter to a through ball in the 75th minute.

More pressure from the East Cork visitors but no more goals. They had hard luck in the closing stages when Cotter turned and shot from about 25 yards, only to see his effort go dead off the far post.

Mayfield United: Brian Ramsell, Sean Madden, Ger Forde, Paul Keegan, Michael Brosnan, Alan Costello, Simon O'Leary, Adrian Saville, Alan Kelly, Dave Kenny and Alan Long. Sub used: Ross O'Connor for Kenny (78th minute).
Corkbeg: Paul O'Reilly, Denis O'Sullivan, Gary Walsh, Christy O'Shea, Jason Ryan, Sean Quirke, Damien O'Driscoll, Steven O'Donoghue, Niall Falvey, Aidan Cotter and Ronan Forde. Subs used: Brian Martin for O'Shea (43rd minute, injured) and Mick O'Shea for Forde (75th).
Referee: Graham Duffy.