Featured post

Barry Peelo: continued look-back at season 2009-10 (Premier League Title)

 Kinsale Manager Peter Jones and assistant Graham Quinn embrace each other at the end of the final game against Leeside which gave them the Premier title following a 2-1 victory at Little Island. (2009-10)
 Kinsale players and followers cellebrate after clinching the Premier title for 2009-10 following their 2-1 victory over Leeside at Little Island (2009-10)
Denis O'Driscoll (Cork AUL) presents the Premier trophy to Kinsale's captain Ger Harrington after their 2-1 victory over Leeside (2009-10)

Barry Peelo: Lookback at that epic decider back in May of 2010 between Kinsale and Leeside to decide the Premier title that season.

Kinsale lifted their fifth title that season, but it went down to the wire as the final game between these two decided the title.
A draw would suit Leeside whereas, Kinsale had to win.

Here is a little flavour as to how the game went:
After a bustling start, Kinsale nudged in front when Derek McCarthy rose majestically to power a looping header over the out-stretched arms of Jamie O’Donovan in the Leeside goal for a fantastic opener in the 22nd minute.
Leeside responded immediately and when Ricki Gettings fed Derek Delea on the left, the Leeside forward rattled the side-netting from an acute angled effort.
The home side continued to probe and when Kinsale’s defence dallied while trying to clear from Barry Goggin’s cross, Paudi O’Sullivan pounced onto a loose clearance, but blazed wide of the target.
Leeside continued their good spell and came so close to making it honours even when Derek Delea found the appropriate space for himself before seeing his rifling low effort come off the butt of the upright before travelling away to safety.
With three minutes remaining to the first period, substitute keeper Keith Cotter replaced Jamie O’Donovan who was forced off through injury.
It was all-square once again on 50 when after Johnnie Barrett’s corner was cleared, Coleman Coady found the target with a right-footed effort that nestled in the net.
This had an igniting affect on Kinsale’s spirits of course as a draw was no good to them and it took a marvellous tackle by Brian O’Sullivan on Sean Lyons to prevent a definite goal-scoring opportunity for the visitors, minutes later.
Action soon shifted to the other end and after Johnnie Barrett’s scissors kick was pushed away by Hurley, Delea latched onto the clearance, but was denied when his forceful strike ricocheted off a defender before going out for a corner.
Apart from that threat by the home side, Kinsale were pressing hard now and with just minutes remaining, the all important goal came when Ger Harrington’s throw ball was headed on by Pat Murphy for Derek McCarthy to nonchalantly blast home with tremendous aplomb for what turned out to be a glorious winner in the end.
Referee: Finbarr Murphy
Leeside: Jamie O’Donovan, Paudi O’Sullivan, Barry Goggin, Paul Condon, Brian O’Sullivan, Alec Nodwell, Joe Lyons, Coleman Coady, Johnnie Barrett, Derek Delea, Ricki Gettings.
Kinsale: Brendan Hurley, Sean Holland, Michael Bradfield, Terence Eade, Eamon Jones, Flor Lynch, Jeremy O’Donovan, Derek McCarthy, Sean Lyons, Ger Harrington, Alan Jeffers.

And here is the way the Premier league table panned out that season just for the record:
Pld W D L GF GA Pts
Kinsale 18 14 2 2 42 16 44
Leeside 18 13 4 1 40 9 43
Grattan Utd 18 12 2 4 31 13 38
Wilton Utd 18 8 1 9 40 29 25
Park Utd 18 7 3 8 32 27 24
Blarney St Ath 18 5 3 10 22 36 18
Knockavilla Cel 18 4 5 9 22 36 17
Coachford 18 5 2 11 20 32 17
Glenthorn Cel 18 4 4 10 13 40 16
Village Utd 18 3 4 11 18 41 13