Mayfield Utd v Tramore Ath.18s 30.11.04

Mayfield Utd v Tramore Ath.18s 30.11.04
Youth League Cup final
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.

Tramore winners



Mayfield United  1 Tramore Athletic 2

Tramore Athletic turned in a  terrific team display as they captured the Sport Gear Direct Youths League Cup with a 2-1 victory over Mayfield United at Turner’s Cross last night.

Richie Keating’s Mayfield made the brighter start but failed to back up their front runners in sufficient numbers and had nothing to show for their early dominance. Gradually, Colm Sheehan’s Tramore worked their way back into the game and created the best chances of the second quarter before taking over in the third.

They scored  a fine early second half goal but were rocked back when never say die Mayfield equalised in the last quarter . Tramore were soon back in front and went on to make up for the disappointment of losing last season’s decider to Douglas Hall.

Mayfield , with some slick passing, had the initiative early on and came very close to scoring with a typical multi-pass movie in the 13th minute. Edward Scanlon had a quite a busy game for the losers and he started the move and excellent midfielder Colin O’Driscoll carried it on, finding Ian Murphy. Murphy’s pass split the defence and Steve McGee raced on to it, got there before the keeper but saw his shot roll inches wide of the far post.

O’Driscoll, well known for his power-packed free kicks, tried one in the 22nd minute but his 28 yard rocket sped inches wide of Roy Heaphy’s left hand  post though, to be fair, the keeper may well have had it covered.

Tramore though defended well and went on the attack in the minutes coming up to the break. Graham Dorgan wasn't too far over after Jonathan Cahill had knocked the ball back from a Ken Murphy free and the Murphy himself tried a volley from a Mayfield clearance and keeper James Kirby, diving to his left, made the save of the game, an excellent stop.

Ian Murphy, had he hit the ball at little bit harder, might have scored from a promising Mayfield move just three minutes into the second half. Tramore took over after that and twice full back Scanlon came to Mayfield’s rescue, first by intercepting a Cummins cross intended for the incoming Mark Murphy and then blocking on the line.

But Tramore kept coming and scored in the 51st minute when Cummins jumped at the far post to head home Ken Murphy’s cross after his own corner had come back to him. Mayfield had the odd raid; McGee was off target with an overhead effort, but Tramore had the edge.

Mayfield keeper Kirby did well to parry a Ken Murphy free but was lucky enough in the 55th minute to see Kerrigan shoot just wide after a Murphy corner had broken back to him.

It was definitely time for a Mayfield sub and newly introduced Killian Byrne scored two minutes after coming on. An O’Driscoll free was deflected off the wall and, from the resultant corner, the same player found Byrne lurking in the crowded box and he equalised from close range.

That goal came in the 74th minute and raised Mayfield hopes. But they were unable to capitalise on Tramore's brief nervousness. The Tramore management steadied the crew and it was one of their subs, Gearoid O’Shea, who played a key part in 81st minute winner.

The move though owed much to a midfield block by full back Adrian Stanton. He got O’Shea free up the right. Mayfield should perhaps have dealt better with the high lobbed cross to the far post. But the ball broke loose and Mark Murphy rammed it home from close range.

The Evening Echo man of the match award went to Tramore striker Graham Cummins. He worked extremely hard throughout the ninety minutes, raiding on both left and right and he also chipped in with the opening goal. Tramore skipper Ken Murphy was another to catch the eye while Mayfield’s top player, on a night when a few of them failed to reach their best, was midfielder Colin O’Driscoll.

Mayfield United: James Kirby, Edward Scanlon, Alan Monaher, Jonathan Buckley, Ian Fleming, Trevor Boyd, Colin O’Driscoll, Stephen McGee, Ian Murphy, Kelvin O'Leary and Barry Quirke (captain). Sub used: Killian Byrne for O'Leary (72nd minute).
Tramore Athletic: Roy Heaphy, Adrian Stanton, Steve Herlihy, Shane Finn, Jason Meehan, Graham Dorgan, Ken Murphy (captain), Graham Cummins, Paul Kerrigan, Mark Murphy and Jonathan Cahill. Subs used: Gearoid O’Shea for Dorgan (75th minute) and Shane McCarthy for Kerrigan (90th).
Referee: Frank Murphy.

Man of Match Graham Cummins

and cup for Ken Murphy