Featured post

08.08.23 Castleview v Rathcoole Rvrs

Leeds v Greenwood 19.09.04

Leeds v Greenwood 19.09.04
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.


Leeds  2 Greenwood  1

Two goals late in the second half gave Leeds a 2-1 win over visitors Greenwood in Murphy’s Stout AUL 1B. Greenwood looked the brighter side in the first half but Leeds had a major change of attitude after the break – must have been the half-time talk – and had their reward in the end. 

Greenwood’s bright start earned them a couple of corners in the first five minutes. Leonard Crowe headed the first narrowly wide, the second just over.

Leeds’ Rob Kriegal, set up by Barry Lawlor, then brought a good save from the Greenwood keeper from a 20 yard effort and the visiting keeper then dealt well with a 25 yard drive by Ray Kelly.

Greenwood were soon back on attack and home keeper Steven Nolan confidently collected a shot by Kevin McCoy after McCoy had left his man for dead. Then it was defender Sean Burke to the rescue, making a fine tackle in the box to deny Greenwood’s Colin Crowley.

After that bit of pressure, Lawlor produced a fine run down the Leeds right, jinked past two Greenwood defenders and squared to Dean Buckley to his right. Buckley's 20 yarder forced keeper Ger McGreevey to scramble across and save with his feet.

Greenwood though were enjoying the better of exchanges and made it count in the 28th minute when Mick Crowley smashed the ball into the net after taking control near goal.

A chance at each end as the half closed. Sean Burke released Kevin McGee on the right and, from an acute angle, McGee flashed his shot against the side netting. Greenwood's McCoy had the ball in the net but was deemed offside by referee Mark O'Flynn.

Greenwood should have gone further ahead minutes into the second half when a McCoy free found Coleman McCarthy all alone but Coleman lifted his shot over the bar.

Leeds began to get a grip but got away with a mistake when a poor clearance found McCoy whose long range effort over the keeper came back off the foot of the post.

In the 79th minute, Greenwood were reduced to 10 men  and that was the signal for an all out Leeds assault and Dean Buckley found a way through and passed to Donal O'Riordan who equalised.

Leeds got their winner seconds before the final whistle when Buckley was tumbled over inside the box and it was Buckley himself who fired in the winner from the resultant penalty. 

Leeds: Steven Nolan, Sean Burke, Chris Radley, Donal Riordan, John Murphy, Barry Lawlor, Johnaton Cooney, Kevin McGee, Rob Kriegal, Dean Buckley and Ray Kelly. Subs used: Alfie Davis for Kelly (60th minute), Mark Fitzgerald for Kriegal (67th) and Bernard Power for Davis (73rd).
Greenwood: Ger McGreevey, Eoin Sweeney, Declan Crowe, Damien Crowe, Dan O'Riordan, Coleman McCarthy, Aidan McCarthy, Mick Crowley, Colin Crowley, Kevin McCoy and Leonard Crowe. Sub used: Anthony Hayes for M. Crowley (31st minute).
Referee: Mark O'Flynn
Skippers with ref Mark O'Flynn