Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs Part 2

Cork AUL v Mayo 20.02.05

Cork AULx v Mayox 20.02.05
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.
Mayo, easy winners


Cork AUL 1 Mayo 4

Mayo qualified for the quarter-finals of the Statoil Oscar Traynor Trophy with an empathic 4-1 win over the Cork AUL at Casement Park (Cork) yesterday. The Westerners could afford the luxury of missing a second half penalty.

The AUL’s Barry Peelo was at the game: “This was a game that Cork will want to forget in a hurry. They never really got out of the blocks and made life very easy for a well-organised Mayo side that took full advantage of their dominance.”

“Mayo were allowed to football their way out of tight situations too many times and certainly looked like the side most up for this game. Their passing game was excellent but it must be said that Cork never really played to their full potential and were caught square at the back far too often.”

“My man of the match was Mayo’s Joe Lawless for his staunch defending and excellent use of the ball even when under pressure. Mayo used their five substitutes and the one thing very noticeable was that each one that came on was as good as the man that went off. This was underlined by the fact that two of them got on the score sheet with well taken goals.”

Lawless, who played with Westport in their recent FAI win over Leeside, had an early shot for the visitors but his 25 yard effort was comfortably saved by keeper Eric Calahane. In the 12th minute, a Lawless pass put John Jordan in a one on one situation with the Cork goalkeeper but his blasted effort came back off Calahane.

Mayo continued to take the game to the Cork side and it paid off in the 20th minute. Then skilful winger David Cameron latched on to a ball over the top from Vinny O’Malley, raced away and fired a magnificent shot over the keeper to make it 1-0.

Mayo kept the pressure on the Cork defence and Malackey Byrne came close from an acute angle moments later. Cork’s John Gaffney broke on the right and sent a dangerous low cross into the box but Lawless was on hand to head the ball out for a corner. From that flag kick, Mayo keeper Alan Reilly sent Vinny O’Malley away on the right and O’Malley’s low cross intended for John Jordan was intercepted just in time by Jason Keegan.

Cork equalised in the 35th minute. Mayo’s Danny Scahill’s headed clearance reached Cork’s John Gaffney and the Golden Boot leader made no mistake when he fired in a beauty from 25 yards.

Cork’s Derek Delea had an opportunity to put Cork ahead but hooked the ball over the bar when unbalanced.

Jordan wasted a good Mayo opportunity before the winners, aided by some sloppy defensive work, went ahead again in the 40th minute. A Mayo corner from the right passed defender after defender before falling to the unmarked Dermot McNicholas at the far post and he had the easist of tasks and tapped the ball in.

Cork did improve somewhat after the break and created a few chances. James O’Leary headed narrowly over from a Jason Keegan free kick and Derek Delea fired a 20 yarder just over the top. In between, Jordan was just wide of the Cork goal and Cameron too went close, unlucky to see a long range drive deflected wide.

Kinsale’s Derek McCarthy then found himself in a good position but fired wide and, thanks to good work by Damien O'Neill, Gaffney got free to cross for Craig Donnelly but he just failed to connect.

Mayo were awarded the penalty in the 70th minute after substitute Declan Reilly was tumbled over in the box by Calahane. John Jordan stepped up to take the kick but his shot lacked conviction and Calahane did not have much bother saving.

The winners would seal it with two goals in the closing four minutes. Substitute James Scott fired a terrific shot to the top corner in the 86th minute and further punishment was inflicted on the home side two minutes later when Dessie O’Malley, another sub, scored.

Cork: Eric Calahane (Passage), Gearoid O'Leary (Greenmount Rangers), Jason Keegan (Leeside), Damien O’Neill (Greenmount Rangers), Gavin O’Connor (Passage), Mark Barry (Rockville), James O'Leary (Passage), Derek McCarthy (Kinsale), John Gaffney (Passage), Derek Delea (Leeside), Craig Donnelly (Leeside). Subs: John Hogan (Coachford), Gary Prout (Passage), Keith Shaw (Rockville), Paul Burke (Village Utd), Wayne Hogan (Rockville), Shane O'Leary (Macroom) and Jason McGillacuddy (Rockville).

Mayo: Alan Reilly (Castlebar Celtic), Joe Lawless (Westport), Eamon Daly (Castlebar Celtic), Danny Scahill (Westport), Damien Ansboro (Manulla), Peter Burke (Ballyhane), David Cameron (Westport), Dermot McNicholas (Manulla), John Jordan (Straide Foxford), Vinny O’Malley (Westport) and Malacky Byrne (Manulla). Subs: Declan Reilly (Castlebar), Ian O’Boyle (Killala), Tommy Walsh (Manulla), Johan Collins (Snugboro), Mick Wallace (Mulranny), James Scott (Castlebar) and Dessie O’Malley (Westport).
Referee: Finbarr Murphy.

Cork, well beaten