Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs Part 2

Ballyvolane v Greenmount Rangers 31.05.04. Saxone Cup final

Ballyvolanex v Greenmountx 31.05.04 Saxone Cup final
Match details below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.

Ballyvolane 1 Greenmount Rangers 2

Greenmount Rangers scored a well deserved 2-1 victory over Ballyvolane at Turner’s Cross in the final of the Murphy’s Stout Saxone Cup on Monday night.

Rangers were the dominant team in this knockout competition for second division teams and it was against the run of play that Ballyvolane took a 1-0 half-time lead. Rangers turned it up a gear after the interval and a couple of cracking goals gave them the new trophy, recently presented to the league by John O'Sullivan of O'Sullivan Motor Factors.
The opening goal came in the 39th minute when O’Keeffe sped away down the right and his low cross broke to Keith Keane who coolly drilled the ball back across the goal and in by the far post.

The Greenmount equaliser arrived in the 51st minute. Full back Billy O'Mahony got the ball in from the right. O'Keeffe collected more or less on the end-line, turned and crossed low for Farrell to drive home at the far post.

Ballyvolane were reeling. The pressure told again in the 63rd minute. Inevitably, Robert O'Mahony was involved. He took a corner on the right and then collected a return pass from Farrell before firing an unstoppable shot across the keeper and in by the top corner. Referee Murray allowed a good advantage here as Farrell had been fouled from behind as he laid the ball back to O'Mahony.

O'Mahony continued to torment the losers. In the 68th minute, Condon and Farrell combined to set him up but keeper O’Sullivan made a good stop.
Greenmount lost man of the match O'Mahony with ten minutes to go but the work that he and the likes of Farrell and Condon had done was sufficient to take the cup. Ballyvolane forced a couple of late corners, one in the 4th minute of injury time, but generally Greenmount keeper Alan Creedon had an easy time of it and his side were worthy winners of the new Saxone Cup.

Ballyvolane: Paul O'Sullivan, Tony O’Donnell, Liam O’Riordan, Dave Keohane, Ger O'Riordan (captain), Keith Keane, Steve O'Keeffe, Peter Nugent, Kevin O’Shea, John Magnier and Adrian McDonnell.  Subs used: Conor Madden and Derek Mellerick for Keane and L. O'Riordan (75) and Dave Keane for O’Shea (88).
Greenmount rangers: Alan Creedon, Billy O'Mahony, Steve Lyons (captain), Conor Buckley, Robert O'Mahony, Brian Condon, Liam Carter, John Farrell, David Ludzic, Dougie Browne and Pat O’Keeffe. Subs used: Trevor Olden for Carter (70), Jason Lyne for R. O'Mahony (80) and Robert McSorley for Ludzic (88).
Referee: Freddie Murray.