Featured post

Wilton Utd v College Corinthians 17s 13.9.03

Wiltonx Utd v College Corinthiansx 17s 13.9.03
Match details below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.
Man of the match John Lane

Wilton United 2 College Corinthians 4

Spirited Wilton Utd made College Corinthians work all the way for their 4-2 group win in the Under 17 League Cup at Farranlea Road. Corinthians built up a 2-0 half-time lead but early second half goals made it level. Then the quality of the Corinthians outfit came to the top and they went on to take the points.

Corinthian's first goal came in the 10th minute when Wes O'Connell released Richie Cronin on the right. Cronin ran forward with the ball and let fly with a shot which came off a Wilton defender inside the box and into the back of the net.

Corinthian's went two up in the 15th minute and again it went in off a defender. John Lane was causing a lot of problems down the left flank and crossed a dangerous ball towards the far post. It bounced off a defender and past stranded keeper David O'Sullivan.

Wilton should have scored after 30 minutes when Michael Shields produced a marvellous run when he slipped past four Corinthian's players but his final effort on goal came off the outside of the stanchion.

Man of the match John Lane came close again in the 33rd minute when his headed effort looked good until tipped over the bar by Wilton goalkeeper David O'Sullivan.

Wilton had a good start to the second half and their pressure was rewarded in the 51st minute when they pulled a goal back. And what a goal it was. Michael Shields stepped up to take a 35 yard free kick and fired an unstoppable shot beyond the reach of Brian Kavanagh and into the back of the net.

Their second goal came four minutes later, after a defensive error. Joe Newman took full advantage and blasted the ball into the net to even the game up at 2-2.

Spirited Wilton's comeback hopes took a knock a few minutes later. Corinthian's Gary Wills sent James Kenny away on the right and his well placed effort went beyond the advancing David O'Sullivan and into the net to put his side back in the lead again at 3-2.

Corinthian's John Lane got his just reward for his contribution when he scored his side's fourth goal in the 82nd minute. He got away from his marker and cut inside and, from 18 yards out on the left, let fly with an unstoppable shot that found the right corner of the net.

Corinthian's eager beaver Lane took the Echo Man of the Match Award. He was a constant menace on the ball and was never slow to lend his individual ability to the team play. He tackled well, passed well and used the ball creatively, and capped his tremendous display with that marvellous goal towards the end.

Wilton: David O'Sullivan, Danny McLeen, Lloyd O'Mahony, John Paul O'Riordan, Cian Anderson, Brian Leonard, Joe Newman, Shane O'Neill, Sean Jordan, Michael Shields and David O'Mahony. Subs used: Jack Porter for O'Neill (22) and Matt Ryan for McLeen (54).
College Corinthians: Brian Kavanagh, Ritchie Cronin, David Kilcummins, Mark O'Donovan, Ian O'Callaghan, Michael Burke, Stephen Duffy, Ron Stanton, Wes O'Connell, James Kenny and John Lane. Subs: Gary Wills for Burke (53), Brendan Spillane and Robert Rose for O'Connell and Duffy (both 65), Denis O'Mahony for Ian O'Callaghan (79).
Referee: Michael O'Farrell.