Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs Part 2

Maymount Celtic v Glenmore Dundrum 4.1.04

Maymountx Celtic v  Glenmorex Dundrum 4.1.04
Details below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.
Glenmore Dundrum

Maymount Celtic 3 Glenmore Dundrum 2
Teenage substitute Jamie Meehan was the hero for Maymount Celtic when he rose to head a corner ball that was perfectly delivered by Stephen McAuliffe into the back of the net with only seconds remaining to give the youthful Cork side a thrilling 3-2 win over Dublin visitors Glenmore Dundrum at O'Sullivan Park in Sunday’s Statoil FAI Junior Cup tie.

This game was a cracker, with the two sides giving total commitment. It was Maymount’s youth against Glenmore’s experience with the home side running out winners in the end. Maymount players and supporters were ecstatic as they celebrated their marvellous victory over a good Dublin outfit that made it very difficult for the home side over the 90 minutes.

It didn't look so good for the Cork side after just five minutes. Then they failed to clear a corner and John Bennett’s toe poke put the visitors in front.

The equaliser wasn't long in coming. In the 14th Garry Leahy did very well on the right after he slipped beyond Glenmore’s full back Ciaran Wise to thread a dangerous ball into the box. Glenmore’s defence could not cope with his delivery and Howard Coakley was on hand to bang the ball into the back of the net.

Maymount were applying a fair bit of pressure at this stage. Garry Leahy rose high but headed narrowly over from a Paul Hogan cross in the 19th minute but had major consolation in the half hour when, following a spell of Maymount pressure, he blasted the ball past keeper Ciaran Smyth to put the home side ahead.

Glenmore came out fighting after the break and there were chances missed at each end before home keeper Stephen Jones made the save of the day in the 64th minute, stretching every muscle in his arm to turn over a glancing header by Robert Kiely.

The excitement mounted. Each team had a player dismissed in the 69th minute. Maymount were under pressure, with both Ronan Corrigan and Ciaran Wise (hit the bar) going close for the visitors while, at the other end, keeper Smyth did well to save from Coakley and Corcoran.

But Maymount began to retreat further as the game drew towards its end and paid the penalty in the 85th minute when Corrigan headed on for Robert Kiely to blast home from close range. But Maymount are a never say die outfit and young Meehan illustrated that with his thumping last gasp header that knocked the wind out of the visitors and sent Maymount into the last 32 for the first time ever.

Maymount: Stephen Jones, Conor Corcoran, Paul Hogan, Raymond Murphy, Jonathan Callaghan, Niall Dalton, Stephen McAuliffe, Derek Driscoll, Damien Morey, Garry Leahy and Howard Coakley. Subs:  Jamie Meehan for Garry Leahy 79 mins, Thomas Flynn for Derek Driscoll 82 mins.