Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs Part 2

Leeds v Casement Celtic 5.10.03

Leedsx v Casementx Celtic 5.10.03
Match details below

Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.


Leeds 4 Casement Celtic 2
(after extra time)

Leeds advanced to the second round of the Murphy’s Stout Saxone Cup, winning a cracking game 4-2, after extra time, over southside rivals Casement Celtic. Hosts Leeds came from behind and might well have won the game in normal time but for a great penalty save  by Casement stopper Dave Newman.

It was the second penalty of the game. The first came in the 3rd minute. Tony Lee inexplicably handled in the box and Ray Kelly scored well for Leeds.

Casement came back well and, in the 7th minute, great control enabled Ken O’Regan get in a shot on the turn but keeper Mark Fitzgerald held it well.

Midway through, Sean Burke broke into the Casement box as a free dropped in front of him and looked good for a goal until Tony Ryan made a superb tackle. The equaliser came three minutes later, O’Regan on target with a  far post header after a well driven Terence Hourigan free from the right touchline.

Casement could have made it 2-1 in the 35th minute. Then Anthony Ruby’s penalty box run was blocked by Colin Chandley; the ball rebounded to Hourigan and his volley was well saved by keeper Fitzgerald. The parried ball fell to Ruby but, off balance, he shot straight at the keeper.

The southsiders did make it 2-1 eight minutes into the second half. Ruby, a few yards outside the Leeds box, was running across the pitch and pushed the ball ahead of himself. But it wasn't a defender that robbed him. Instead, Paul O'Callaghan raced on it and drove a beauty past Fitzgerald.

Leeds piled on the pressure. Newman dived to his right to save well from Dave Power and then a fantastic shot on the turn by Chris Wall crashed back off the Casement bar. 

The equaliser came midway through. Sub Dean Buckley played a fine diagonal pass over the defence and Rob Kreigal drove  a low shot across the advancing keeper and into the far corner.

The second penalty came two minutes later after Wall, put through by Power, had been brought down by Danny Stanton. Buckley hit the spotter strongly but keeper Newman saved with his legs.

Each side had chances in the closing stages. A good header by Buckley off a Kreigal free was just wide of the far post and then a low Kreigal corner went all the way to the far post before being cleared by John Paul Heffernan, the Casement captain.

Casement’s best chance of a winner came with 12 minutes to go. Then O’Regan beat the offside and raced into the box but had the ball taken away when tackled by both Chandley and Long.

Leeds dominated the first period of extra time and took the lead when a Buckley free broke to Kevin O’Mahony who had all the time in world to head home at the far post. Casement tried hard to get back into it and were caught on the break in the second period when Kelly held off a challenge and sent Kreigal away to beat Newman with a classy finish to make the final score 4-2.

Leeds: Mark Fitzgerald, Dave Power, Chris Radley, Colin Chandley, Kevin O'Mahony, Ray Kelly, Denis Falvey, Diarmuid Long, Rob Kreigal, Sean Burke (captain) and Chris Wall. Subs: Dean Buckley (Falvey, 53rd minute).
Casement Celtic: Dave Newman,  Danny Stanton, Tony Ryan, Tony Lee, Cormac O'Mahony, Anthony Ruby, John Paul Heffernan (captain), Paul O'Callaghan, Terence Hourigan, Ken O'Regan, Anthony O'Brien. Subs: John Paul Morrissey (for O’Brien at half-time), Ger Hennessy (for Ruby 63rd minute) and Dave O'Brien (for Lee, 8th minute of extra time).
Referee: Andrew Mylod.

Casement Celtic