Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs 1980-2001

Inter City v Hillington 11.04.04

Interx City v Hillingtonx 11.04.04
Details below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.

Inter City Celtic 3 Hillington 0
Inter City Celtic continued their reign at the top of Murphy’s Stout AUL 3A but they made hard work of their 3-0 win over a short-handed Hillington at Popham’s Road on Sunday morning.

All the goals came in the second half as Inter were turned back time and again in the first by a defiant defence that featured five star shows by Niall O'Sullivan and keeper James O’Connor.

Brian Milner came on, as a 53rd minute sub for Inter City, but their luck didn't change, at least immediately. His first effort, after running in to a long ball, came back off the post and soon afterwards Padraig Speight drove over off the bar.

And it looked as of the timber would deny them again in the 59th minute. Then a fine shot by Damien Hayes came back off the post but Inter’s other Damien, Whelton, was on hand to score off the rebound.

The floodgates were expected to open at that point but instead spirited Hillington, playing with just nine men, gave their hosts a fright in the 68th minute. A long ball from keeper O’Connor fell for Mark Bickerstaffe who worked his way past two defenders before lifting the ball over advancing keeper Paul McCarthy but another defender got back to clear.

Panic would surely have set in had Hillington scored but Inter made the most of their escape and doubled their advantage six minutes later. John McCarthy's mazy run saw him get past the keeper and he pulled the ball back for Whelton to crack in his second.

And the two goal Inter man turned provider in the 78th minute when he put Milner in to make it 3-0. Leaders Inter now have just two games left, one against Killowen and one against top rivals Buttevant.