Featured post

Greenmount Rangers v Villa Utd 07.03.04

Greenmountx Rangers v Villax Utd 07.03.04
Match details below

Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.



Greenmount Rangers 1 Villa United 3

Villa Utd turned on the style in the final quarter and scored three goals as the promoted outfit came from behind to defeat Greenmount Rangers 3-1 in the Murphy’s Stout AUL Premier League.

Greenmount were a goal up at the break and probably deserved their lead, even though Brendan Cronin's goal was a soft one and Willie Harris had missed an earlier sitter for the ESB Grounds visitors.

Harris also missed another easy looking chance early in the second half as Villa continued to drive forward. They were then helped by the sending off of a Greenmount midfielder who picked up his second yellow 18 minutes into the second half.

Greenmount boss John Shine, with just one sub on the line, had to reshuffle. Villa introduced two handy subs in Paddy O’Shea and Liam Dennehy. Liam equalised and scored the late clincher and in between Alan O’Connor raced through for a beauty.

Rangers, despite distinguishing themselves with two fine runs in the FAI and MFA Cups, are without a league win this season. They started brightly and had chances as Damien O'Neill, playing at centre-forward, won some good balls in the air, though marker John Paul Murphy didn't make it easy.

Rangers were winning their share of frees, most of them a few yards outside the box, but neither Brendan Cronin nor O'Neill was able to find the target.

The Greenmount opener came from a 27th minute corner. It was half cleared and fell to Cronin. His crisp low 30 yarder wasn't his greatest shot ever but found the target.

The visitors have a high sense of self belief and stepped up their quest for an equaliser, coming close 12 minutes into the second half when O’Connor raced across his ball watching marker only to see his flicked effort come back off the far post and Harris’s follow-up cleared off the line by Gearoid O'Leary.

And there was more punishment for Rangers in the 68th minute. Then O'Shea's header came back off the far post and fellow sub Liam Dennehy scored after a couple of attempts.

Breen saved well from Alan O’Connor in the 75th minute but he and his defence were completely outfoxed by the Villa man as he raced his way through, with pace and control, to put them ahead in the 80th minute.

Villa then had a full back sent off (84th) and Greenmount’s Michael O'Leary and O’Neill went close with headers before Villa wrapped it up with three minutes to go.

A Greenmount defender, the last man back, pulled down sub O’Shea and referee John Thompson issued the red card. Alan O’Connor took the free before Rangers were organised and sent Dennehy in to beat Breen to make the final score 3-1.

Greenmount Rangers: Eamon Breen, Pat Tynan, Damien O'Neill, Shane McSweeney, Ger Long, Gearoid O’Leary, Chris Irwin, Donal O’Shea, Darren Gubbins, Mick O'Leary and Brendan Cronin.
Villa Utd: Stephen Clarke, David Knowles, Michael O’Connor, Paul Donovan, John Paul Murphy Keith Shaw, John Betts, Paul Murphy, Alan O’Connor, Kevin Betts and William Harris. Subs used: Paddy O’Shea and Liam Dennehy for P. Murphy and Harris (both 60th minute).
Referee: John Thompson.