Featured post

Greenmount Rangers v Pike Rovers, Munster Junior Cup, 22.02.04

Greenmountx v Pikex Rovers 22.02.04
Details of Munster Cup game below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.

Greenmount Rangers 0 Pike Rovers 2 (aet)

Extra time goals by Pike’s centre-forward David Morris and substitute Frank Stewart earned the Limerick side a 2-0 win over hosts Greenmount Rangers at the ESB Grounds on Sunday afternoon, both goals coming in the second period.

In the overall play, Pike deserved to go through because they created more clear-cut chances, not that there were that many in a disappointing game. The gusty elements did not help and the football was poor enough.

In the 39th minute, Pike’s Paul Quinn produced a vicious free kick from all of 40 yards, which dipped menacingly just inches over the bar. Pike came close again just only seconds into the second half when Shane O’Connor’s volley flashed inches wide of the post.

It was Pike’s turn to use the wind to their advantage and their midfield were on top with Dermot Phelan, David O’Grady and Danas Bohenis dictating play.

Pike’s Colm Enright saw his thundering header flash just inches wide of the target from a corner ball in the 62nd minute and Gearoid O’Leary came to Greenmount’s rescue when he cleared off the line after Dermot Phelan’s header was going all the way to the net in the 70th minute.

In the first minute of the second period of extra time, Pike’s Shane O’Connor got away on the left and crossed in for the David Morris to drill the ball home at the far post.

And salt was added to the Greenmount wound in the dying minutes. Then Pike’s Danas Bohenis crossed for substitute Frank Stewart to guide his shot home to make the final score 2-0 to the Shannonsiders.

Greenmount Rangers: Eamon Breen, Eddie Cotter, Gearoid O’Leary, Stephen McCarthy, Ger Long, Fionan Murray, Donal O’Shea, Shane McSweeney, Conor Fitzgerald, Mick O'Leary and Brendan Cronin. Subs used: Pat Tynan for Fitzgerald (72nd minute), Darren Gubbins for Cronin (77th) and Stephen Heaphy for Cotter (110th).
Pike Rovers: David McNamara, Paul Quinn, Declan Casey, Ronan Hanrahan, Colm Enright, Danas Bohenis, David O’Grady, Dermot Phelan, David Morris, Shane O'Connor and Declan Considine. Sub used: Frank Steward for Quinn (92nd minute).
Referee: Damien O’Mahony

Pike Rovers