Featured post

Glenthorn B v UCC B 22.02.04

Glenthornx B v UCCx B 22.02.04
Match details below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.

UCC celebrate score

AUL 3B top of table
Glenthorn Celtic 2 UCC 3

Thabiso Tau scored yet another double, including the second half clincher, as UCC maintained their front running position in Murphy’s Stout AUL 3B with a hard earned 3-2 away win over title rivals Glenthorn Celtic.

Tau, better known on the campus as Sparks, opened the account in the first half. Philip Evans equalised after a good run and cross by Keith Kelleher.

UCC had the biting wind behind them and went head about five minutes before the break when Alan White fired home after a cross from the right. Seconds earlier, Ed Quirke had seen his goalbound effort taken off the line.

The students would be up against it in the second half and Glenthorn made their intentions known early on. In the 48th minute, James Egan let fly from the edge of the box and keeper Kevin Mullane made a fine save to his right.

Glenthorn though were unable to deliver on their early promise and the students stretched their lead in the 66th minute. Quirke was a key figure and he sent Tau away on his own and the striker kept his cool to beat keeper Joe Burns with a well placed low shot.

UCC were in the comfort zone. Not for long. Egan fired a long range free kick just over Mullane's bar in the 73rd minute before beating the keeper with a rising drive four minutes later to make it 3-2. Soon after that, Mullane made a fine save when Peter O'Keeffe tried his luck with a drive on the turn.

Keith Kelleher then got in a shot after a pass from Egan but drove straight at Mullane. UCC settled and played sensible football in the closing stages, helped hugely by a major contribution from Maurice Deevy in midfield.

Jerry Russell twice went close to stretching the lead. In the 82nd minute, he wasn't too far away with a long shot from the left. He got even closer in injury time. Then another long range special crashed back off the bar, the rebound too fast for the incoming Quirke to control.

Glenthorn Celtic: Joe Burns, Kenny O’Brien, Eddie McCarthy, John O’Brien, Peter O'Keeffe, James Egan, Gay Lee, Gary Power, Philip Evans, Keith Kelleher and James Hickey. Subs: Pa Murphy and Kieran Evans.
UCC: Kevin Mullane, Ronan O'Sullivan, Paul Wycherley, Matt Harper, Dan O’Donoghue, Maurice Deevy, Jachimo Mckarra, Alan White, Ed Quirke, Thabiso Tau and Jerry Russell. Subs: Conal O’Kane, Eoin Gleeson, Cian O’Connell and Jon Ploegor.
Referee: Kevin O’Connell.