Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs 1980-2001

Kinsale v Glenea 18.01.04

Kinsalex v Gleneax 18.01.04
Match details below
Please keep sharing and retweeting these pics. And, if you can, let clubs that are not on Facebook or Twitter and those that have folded know about them. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.

Kinsale 4 Glenea United 1

Kinsale, with skipper Davy Barry in tremendous form, advanced to the 7th round of the Statoil FAI Junior Cup with a deserved 4-1 success over Donegal champions Glenea United at Fort Hill on Sunday morning.

It looked bad for the home side when they went a goal down in the 7th minute but that reverse just spurred them on to better things. Indeed, they never looked back, totally dominated the game and outplayed their opponents with some precise accurate football. 

It was a great team show by Peter Jones’ men but Barry was the hero. His second half display was magnificent. He showed a range of skills as he tormented marker Paul Duggan.

Glenea’s opener came after a long ball over the top. Maurice Ferry latched onto it and his well placed effort gave advancing keeper Dave O’Callaghan no chance and put the visitors ahead.
Kinsale’s persistence paid off on the half-hour. Player manager Jones hit a powerful 30 yard drive and the Glenea keeper did well to push it out for a corner. But the save just delayed the goal. When the flag kick came over, Pat Murphy rose highest to thunder his header into the back of the net.

Barry was on fire for the second half and Kinsale used him at every opportunity. Surprising then that the visitors didn't detail a second man to curtail his contribution. 

Kinsale kept feeding Barry on the right and the tactic paid off in the 63rd minute. Barry skinned Duggan for the umpteenth time and his precise cross was headed powerfully into the net by Derek McCarthy.

Kinsale took complete control as they produced wave after wave of attack many going though the skilful Barry and were rewarded with a third goal in the 80th minute when Barry’s accurate cross was headed in by Foran.

There was no way back for the Donegal lads and Kinsale put the icing on the cake in the dying seconds. Jeremy O’Donovan made a great run and, from 30 yards out, let fly.  Rodden could only push it away and Pat Murphy lay waiting to smash the ball home to make it 4-1.

Kinsale: Dave O’Callaghan, Gearoid Cummins, Florence Lynch, Sean Foran, Peter Jones, Pat Murphy, Jeremy O’Donovan, Derek McCarthy, Sean Prior, Stephen O'Donovan and Dave Barry (captain). Sub used: Patrick O’Callaghan for Foran (83rd minute).
Glenea: Joe Rodden, Terence Duggan, Anthony McCafferty, Ciaran McFadden, Sean McFadden, Sean McFadden, Patrick Dohan, Stephen Coyle, Maurice Ferry, Joseph Gallagher and Eamon Cannon. Sub used: Shane McFadden for Dohan (at half-time).
Referee:  Freddie Murray