Featured post

Hillington v Ballincollig 12.10.03

Hillington v Ballincollig 12.10.03
Details below
Thanks for sharing and retweeting these pics. Quite a few clubs are not on Facebook or Twitter and others have folded. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.


Hillington 0 Ballincollig 3

Hillington put in yet another disappointing home performance as they crashed out of the Statoil FAI Junior Cup. Ballincollig were better organised, took their chances well and deserved their victory.

The home side stared brightly enough and Jason Forde floated over a 3rd minute corner that was punched out by keeper Owen Walsh. Midfielder Graham Horgan got on the end of it but his 20 yard volley curled just wide. Then Horgan set up Conor Murray for a shot that wasn't too far off the target.

And Hillington went close again in the 7th minute. Eric Ryan took a return pass from the lively Jason Forde and raced into the box where a solid tackle by the evergreen Anthony Hogan stopped him at the expense of a corner which, in turn, was well held by keeper Walsh.

Ballincollig, playing against the wind, were having their best moments on the break and they scored in the 22nd minute. Trevor O'Mahony sent over a fine corner from the right. Terry Coomey challenged keeper Paul O’Rourke and the breaking ball was finished off by Jason “Benny” O'Leary.
The Hillington defence was nowhere to be seen four minutes after the restart. Full back O’Leary got away up the right and crossed towards the unmarked Coomey but his ten yard volley flew over the top.

Ballincollig were now enjoying more possession than they did in the first half and almost and it count on the hour. Then Flanagan got in behind the defence but his cross, intended for O’Callaghan, was well cut out by Horgan.

Hillington enjoyed a good spell midway through and Ballincollig keeper Walsh was none too convincing in dealing with two well hit free kicks by Hillington defender Damien Kelleher.

Hopes of a Hillington comeback were dashed in the 69th minute. A terrific ball up the right by Benny sent O'Callaghan in behind the defence. Keeper O’Rourke came to meet him but the striker stayed cool and in control and outfoxed the keeper before making it 2-0.

Ballincollig made sure of the ticket to round three when they scored their third with eight minutes to go. A long free, from defensive right to attacking left by Matthew O'Regan, unerringly found its intended target in Lennie Cummins. He prodded the ball into the  box where sub Prenderville and O’Callaghan helped it out to Flanagan on the right and his searing shot sped across the keeper and into the net.

Hillington came close to a late consolation when Murray picked up a clearance and got into the box where he was quickly confronted by keeper Walsh who bravely made the save of the game.

Hillington: Paul O’Rourke, Miles Gaffney, Tony O’Connell, Damien Kelleher, Jason Twohig, Conor Murray, Anthony Wall, Graham Horgan, Graham Healy, Eric Ryan and Jason Forde. Subs used: Martin O’Rourke for O’Connell (26th minute) and Eamonn Browne for Gaffney (50th).
Ballincollig; Owen Walsh, Jason O'Leary, Trevor O'Mahony, Matthew O'Regan, Adrian Brady, Pat Flanagan, Thomas Glavin, Lennie Cummins, Anthony Hogan, Cathal O'Callaghan and Terry Coomey. Subs used: Conor Prenderville for Galvin (70th) and Terry O’Donovan for O'Leary (81st).
Referee: Christy Byrne.