Featured post

08.08.23 Castleview v Rathcoole Rvrs

Glencairn v Grattan 2.11.03

Glencairn v Grattan 2.11.03
FAI Junior Cup, details below
Thanks for sharing and retweeting these pics. Quite a few clubs are not on Facebook or Twitter and others have folded. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.
Glencairn Celtic

Glencairn Celtic 3 Grattan United 3
(Grattan won 4-1 on penalties, after extra time)

This was a cracker, the game of the season so far. Glencairn swept into a 3-1 lead. Back battled Grattan and it was the visitors to Murphy's Farm who left with the ticket to the next round of the Statoil FAI Cup after they emphatically won the shootout that followed this thrilling 3-3 game, completing their marvellous comeback despite missing a penalty in the game itself.

Glencairn lost their keeper Mark Smith through injury in the first quarter but had the better chances in that period. Kirill Burkhan (twice), Paul Keenan, Damien O'Leary, all went close before they opened the scoring in the 37th minute when Ian Harrington found a gap in the heart of the defence and raced in to blast the ball past Adam Lynch.

Grattan equalised in the 43rd minute when Mark O’Sullivan was on hand to tap the ball into the net, after the Celtic defence had failed to clear a low cross.

But Glencairn were back in front just two minutes into the second half. Neil Duggan’s quickly taken free sent Rob Downing away and he placed the ball beyond the isolated keeper.

And it was Downing who increased the Glencairn lead in the 50th minute when, from twenty yards, he blasted the ball to the left of Lynch and into the back of the net.

Grattan dug deep and turned the tide and had their reward in the 67th minute when John Paul O'Sullivan, unmarked at the far post, tapped the ball into the net from a cross by John Kelleher.

John Paul should have equalised in the 72nd minute. Kelleher, one of Grattan’s most effective players, was pulled down and referee Finbarr Murphy had no option but to award a penalty but John Paul had his shot saved by sub keeper Galvin.

Grattan still kept coming and Galvin at this stage was the busiest man on the pitch. But nothing he could do when, in the 80th minute, Kelleher thundered an unstoppable shot into the back of the net to level it at 3-3.

Grattan were the strongest of the teams in extra time but the tie eventually ended up being decided by shootout. Grattan were first to take the penalties and scored all four while Glencairn missed two from three.
Grattan Utd
Glencairn presentation Apr 2004