Featured post

The death has occurred of KATHLEEN O'SULLIVAN...

Carrigtwohill Greenwood. Match of the Week 18.10.03

Carrigtwohillx v Greenwoodx 18.10.03
Match details below...

Thanks for sharing and retweeting these pics. Quite a few clubs are not on Facebook or Twitter and others have folded. Please share these photos on the internet as best you can as a lot of work has gone into them. When sharing individual photos on social media, please credit @CorkBilly on Facebook . Be sure too to download and keep copies for your own club.


 Carrigtwohill United 0 Greenwood 0

A hard sporting game but no goals to report at Slatty Park where promoted Carrigtwohill held visitors Greenwood to a draw in Murphy’s Stout AUL 1B. It was the Murphy’s Stout Match of the Week but never quite lived up to the billing.

Greenwood had more of the chances and their manager, Mick Cotter, was disappointed: “We should have taken the three points. It is our fifth draw of the season and we need to start winning this kind of game.”

It was Carrig’s second league draw in a row but secretary Carl Sylvester wasn't too put out: "“We’re not too worried, happy enough. It is our first year in this division and the aim to is to consolidate, avoid relegation and perhaps be a force next season.”

Both sides tried hard to get on the scoresheet. But the defences played well and the two keepers impressed and both Adrian Kidney for the home side and Brendan McCarthy made brave saves when called on and each has the bruises to prove it.

The first opportunity, in the 3rd minute, came to Greenwood. They quickly cleared a Carrig free and Coleman McCarthy sent brother Aidan away but he had to settle for a corner.

Carrig's best effort of the opening half came in the 8th minute. A long free broke into the right hand side of the box and midfielder Colin O'Neill, for once clear of the attentions of Leonard Crowe, let fly but saw his drive speed not too far wide of the near post angle.

Greenwood put a fine move together midway through, started in midfield by Leonard Crowe. Coleman McCarthy picked the ball up close to the end-line, made a great turn to get away from his marker and hit a terrific cross beyond the far post where brother Aidan came in, only to see his cracking volley go too high.

The home side came very close to a  goal seven minutes into the second half. Boland and O'Neill were heavily involved in the build-up on the left before O'Neill’s cross spelt danger but keeper McCarthy advanced bravely and got the ball just as he clashed heavily with young Sylvester. Both though were able to continue after treatment.

It looked as if Greenwood would score in the 62nd minute. Leonard Crowe got in behind the Carrig defence as a free from the left by Damien came in but Lennie put his header back across the goal and wide.

Carrig were lucky again two minutes later. Central defender Sean Barrett failed to cut out a cross from the left and it fell for Alan O'Sullivan and his flick header beat keeper Kidney but just missed the target.

The home side introduced experienced marksmen Derek Nozzle Healy, just back from injury, and he showed his potential with a 66th minute free kick that deflected off the wall and required a quick change of direction and a good catch by keeper McCarthy.

But Healy and company were starved of chances after that and the Greenwood forwards didn't have any better luck. The final quarter was poor enough but the city side almost got a last minute winner.

A good move ended with Martin Sweeney breaking through on the left and sending a low cross. Sub Colin Crowley dived forward to head it and keeper Kidney dived smartly to his right to turn the ball behind for a corner.

The danger wasn't over. The corner came all the way to the far post and Coleman McCarthy got his head to it but he was under pressure and failed to find the target and seconds later referee Denis O’Driscoll sounded the final whistle.

Carrigtwohill Utd: Adrian Kidney, Steve Leahy, Derek Nolan, Brian Nolan, Sean Barrett, Colin O'Neill, Dave Barry (captain), Noel Gubbins, Carl Sylvester, Mick Boland and Paul Nolan. Subs: Derek Healy for P. Nolan (62nd minute) and Adrian Hodnett for Sylvester (77th), Mark Nolan, Alan O'Sullivan and Cormac Carroll.
Greenwood: Brendan McCarthy, Anthony Hayes, martin Sweeney, Declan Crowe, Damien Crowe (captain), Leonard Crowe, Coleman McCarthy, Dan O'Riordan, Alan O'Sullivan, Owen Sweeney and Aidan McCarthy. Subs: Colin Looney for A. McCarthy (79th minute), Colin Crowley for O'Sullivan (87th), Kieran McCoy, Bernard Houlihan and Damien Vaughan.
Referee: Denis O’Driscoll.