Featured post

Grattan United v Ballyvolane 15.03.08

Match of the Day from 2006: Ballincollig v Lakewood derby

AUL 1 8/4/06
Ballincollig 1 Lakewood Athletic 0

A 6th minute goal by Paul Foley was enough to give Ballincollig a 1-0 win over Lakewood Athletic in the top of the table derby game in Murphy’s Stout AUL 1 at the Regional Park on Saturday.

Leaders Lakewood recovered well from that early blow and indeed dominated the first half but spurned quite a few chances of an equaliser. Ballincollig improved after the interval and Lakewood continued to play well but the visitors failed to come up with the sort of opportunities that came their way in the first period.

It wasn't to be a good day for the normally razor sharp Lakewood centre-forward Rob O’Shea. In the 5th minute, he got a taste of things of come when his close range header from a deadball cross by midfielder Ian Bohane flew just wide of the Ballincollig goal.

The shock opener came in the next minute. Home keeper Cian O’Callaghan started the move with a well placed clearance. The visiting defenders didn't react well but that couldn’t be said of Paul Foley who fired a 20 yard rocket to the left of keeper Donnacha Murphy and in off the post to make it 1-0.

There was more disappointment for O’Shea in the 12th minute when he squandered Lakewood’s best chance. There wasn't a defender within five yards of him when he received a penalty box pass by marauding defender Paul Courtney. O’Shea though failed to control the low ball and it squirted forward to a grateful keeper.

Courtney was up there attacking again in the 31st minute and this time his pass found Ian O’Mahony. O'Mahony did manage to connect but his 13 yard effort was deflected wide for a corner.

Ballincollig weren’t getting much of a look-in upfront but they had the chance to make it what would have been a very flattering 2-0 in the 38th minute. A bit of magic from Bryan “Biscuits” McNulty saw him get space on the 18 yard line and he laid the ball off to the impressive Steve Nolan. McNulty then raced in for the return but was denied by a brave save by Donnacha Murphy.

Ballincollig were much better after the interval and took the game to the league leaders, particularly during the third quarter. But, before that, more frustration for Lakewood striker O’Shea. Joe Kelleher played him into the box in the 50th minute but a superb tackle by the impressive Jason O'Leary took the ball away from him before he could strike.

The home team came close in the 56th minute but Nolan’s glancing header from a corner by the hard-working Timmy O'Leary bounced wide of the far post.

Nolan then helped Cathal O’Callaghan get past the Lakewood keeper. He was forced wide and, unable to get the ball back to a colleague, settled for a corner.

Lakewood had two late chances of salvaging a draw. In the 80th minute, sub Damien Lordan got his head to a corner by Bohane but his far post downward effort was well held by keeper O’Callaghan.

That wasn't the hardest of saves but the home keeper really earned his salt in the 84th minute. After a foul on man of the match Paul Lucey, Bohane hit a fine free from a few yards outside the box and O’Callaghan responded well by diving to his left to turn the ball away for what proved to be a fruitless corner.

Ballincollig: Cian O’Callaghan, Jason O'Leary, Paul O’Donovan, Trevor O’Mahony, Mark Buckley (captain), Tim O'Leary, Paul Foley, Bryan McNulty, David O’Callaghan, Stephen Nolan and Cathal O’Callaghan. Subs: Gavin O’Callaghan for Foley (58th minute), Leonard Lane for O’Donovan (at half-time, injured), Stephen Coomey and Thomas Galvin for McNulty (62nd minute).
Lakewood Athletic: Donnacha Murphy, Trevor Morrissey, Paul Courtney, Paul Lucey, Brendan O'Leary (captain), Joe Kelleher, Ronan Walsh, Ian Bohane, Rob O’Shea, Ian O’Mahony and Gary Lucey. Subs: Barry Lordan for G. Lucey (73rd minute), Damien Lordan for Kelleher (62nd minute), Conor Hogan for Walsh (81st minute) and Darragh Collins.

Referee: Damien O’Mahony.