Featured post

Nostalgia MOTD Village v Killarney Celtic Jan 2006


Villagex United 0 Killarneyx Celtic 2

Killarney Celtic scored late in each half to claim a merited 2-0 away win over Village United in the Lucozade Sport Munster Junior Cup at Silverheights on Saturday afternoon.

Two nil probably flattered the visitors, who were under pressure for much of the second half. But Village failed to take their chances, created mainly by Howard Coakley (in the first half) and by skipper Jinty O’Sullivan, in the second.

The Cork side came close to scoring in the 5th minute when a Will O’Callaghan effort drew a nervous response from the Killarney keeper but he redeemed himself by getting back to his line to punch away the follow up header by Richard Burns.

Killarney themselves had a chance in the next minute when the impressive David Hayes headed the ball on from a throw-in. Peter McCarthy was in behind the defence but his angle was narrow, his volley no where near the target.

Coakley was causing the visiting defence problems but Village weren’t making the best use of the consequent free kicks, as illustrated in the 26th minute when Steve Hackett turned up unmarked at the far post but headed Jinty’s long free wide. 

A few minutes later, Coakley himself volleyed wide after an O’Sullivan corner broke loose.

Killarney were also getting their share of the free kicks and half chances but the Village defence was sharp at this stage and their tackling was spot on.

They did make an error in the 33rd minute and gave the ball back to David Hayes. He found McCarthy in the box but central defender Hackett stepped in to neatly dis-possess the Killarney raider.

McCarthy though would have better luck in the 44th minute. Then he raced onto a through ball and held off his marker Rob O’Regan before firing a powerful 16 yard strike past keeper O’Donovan to open the scoring.

Celtic seemed to be determined to finish the job in the early stages of the second half and, without creating too much, camped in the Village half. 

They did come very close to a second in the 50th minute when, after good approach play, Jimmy Falvey hit a ball across the penalty area and McCarthy was only a whisker away from making contact in front of goal.

Village’s first shot of note in the second half, came from a 60th minute Jinty free that sped just over. Three minutes later, his corner created  panic in the Celtic box but the Killarney lads survived the scramble.

Midway through, Jinty broke up the right and sent over an inviting cross but there was no colleague on hand to finish it off. From then on, Killarney defended sternly. The no nonsense clearances of John Doyle, parhaps their man of the match, were a feature of the play in the final quarter.

Neither side created much in that period, until the 87th minute when Killarney sub Vladimir Sirotiak got on the end of a right wing corner and, unmarked, headed just over from a few yards out.

Vladimir had better luck in the next minute. Celtic quickly moved the ball upfield after a Village attack. The final pass was overhit and keeper Jamie O’Donovan dashed out to clear. But his kick went straight to the Celtic raider and he neatly lifted it over O’Donovan’s head and into the empty net to increase the winning margin to flattering proportions.

It was a reasonably entertaining game and both teams deserve credit for their sportsmanship, neither giving efficient referee Damien O’Mahony and his team any bother at all.

Village United: Jamie O’Donovan, Jonathan O’Sullivan (captain), Rob O’Regan, Kelvin O’Leary, Stephen Hackett, Terry Lotty, Brian Sheehan, Kieran O’Callaghan, Richard Burns, Barry Quirke and Howard Coakley. Subs used: Dan Lucey for Sheehan (60th minute) and Patrick Dilworth for Coakley (80th).
Killarney Celtic: Michael Gustaif, John McDonagh, Alan Nagle, Brian Spillane (captain), Donal O’Sullivan, Pa McGrath, John Doyle, David Hayes, Stephen Hayes, Peter McCarthy and Jimmy Falvey. Subs used: Vladimir Sirotiak for McGrath (67th minute), Denis Moriarty for McCarthy (85th) and James Hurley for S. Hayes (89th).

Referee: Damien O’Mahony. Assistants: Denis Crowley and Richie Murphy.