Featured post

Nostalgia MOTD Leeside v Killinardrish Jan 2006

AOH CUP 14.01.2006

Leesidex 6 Killinardrishx 0

Third division visitors Killinardrish were no match for Premier outfit Leeside at Little Island last Saturday as the home side chalked up a 6-0 first round AOH Cup win. 

The midtable visitors would have needed to have been at full strength and at their most organised to have had any hope against the East Cork side.

But, instead, they turned up with just ten men – one of their cars had broken down on its way to the venue. They were up to eleven in the 38th minute but, by then, they were 2-0 down to the Premier team and would have needed more than the AA to haul them out of trouble.

Perhaps they did think they would bother Leeside with the full eleven. But those hopes were spectacularly crushed seconds after the restart when inter-league ace Derek Delea dived to head home a cross by Conor O'Leary who soon made it 4-0 himself with a rising rocket to the top corner.

The pattern was set in the opening minutes when Leeside, playing in black and red, forced corner after corner before taking the lead in the 13th minute. Then a good move, involving O’Leary, Delea and Jack Ahern ended with Andrew Sang tapping home from close range.

Roving midfielder Mick Kennelly made it 2-0 just three minutes later, turning up on cue in the six yard box to kick home a low cross from Delea. Aherne was very influential for the winners in the opening quarter and he was involved in the early stages of this move.

The home side made it 3-0 seconds after the re-start. Following a Leeside free, Kennelly lifted the ball over the Killinardrish defence and O'Leary volleyed a cross from the right. Delea dived in the six-yard box and headed in via the far post.

O'Leary’s goal, the fourth of the game, came in the 52nd minute and was also quite spectacular. He, Delea and Sang were involved in the build-up and when Delea dummied Sang's low cross from the left, O'Leary let fly from just inside the box and his rising shot powered high past the stranded keeper.

Leeside keeper Michael Coughlan was never tested during this tie but his opposite number never had a rest. Wiseman was glad to see sub James Lucey whip the ball off the line following a Leeside corner in the 61st minute and then made a very good point blank save from an O’Leary header.

Manager Tobin had all his subs on by the 64th minute, much to the envy of the visitors, and Leeside went five up in the 66th minute. Lively midfielder Kennelly was fouled about 30 yards from goal and the tired defence wasn't on full alert when the free was played short to Aherne who belted the ball high into Wiseman’s right hand corner.

To be fair to Leeside, they never resorted to fancy football in this game and their running and use of the ball kept Killinardrish stretched throughout. 

This was illustrated again in the 72nd minute when they scored the final goal. The good play and passing followed a Delea corner and, almost in a carbon copy of his first, midfielder Kennelly raced in from no-where to kick the ball home from close-in.

It was all too much for the third division side who threw in the towel shortly afterwards, in the 75th minute to be exact.

Leeside: Michael Coughlan, Wayne Barrett, Jason Keegan (captain), Mick Looney, Garrett Lenihan, Derek Delea, Mick Kennelly, Ger O’Mahony, Colin Aherne, Andrew Sang and Conor O'Leary. Subs used: Thomas Gettings for Lenihan (55th minute), Jamie Barry and Gavin Douglas for Barrett and O'Leary (both 64th).
Killinardrish: David Wiseman, Daniel Buckley, Garry O'Brien, William McCullough, Michael O'Brien, Eamon Lyne (captain), Martin O’Mahony, Liam Buckley, Vince McCarthy, Stephen Murphy and Jamie Lucey.

Referee: Sean Hegarty.