Featured post

Nostalgia MOTD 18.12.05 Glen Celtic v Macroom


Glenx Celtic 3 Macroomx 1

Thomas Kelleher scored two smashing goals as newly promoted first division outfit Glen Celtic pulled off their biggest ever cup upset when they ambushed visitors Macroom 3-1 in Sunday's Lucozade Sport Munster Junior Cup tie at Glen Park.

Premier A team Macroom had been hoping to get back to winning ways following last week's defeat to Grattan and it looked like Christmas was on its the way when they scored in less than ninety seconds. Kelleher got one back for the Glen midway through but soon had a man sent off. 

The Glen responded well to the challenge. John Murphy and player-manager Billy Long played great stuff in the heart of the defence, which was backed up by a reliable keeper in Ken Kiely. Midfielders Danny Kiely and Patrick Long turned on the style and it was the Kelleher show upfront.

Macroom’s early opener owed much to a superb ball over the top by midfielder Kevin Sheehan. A defender’s touch rendered the offside trap useless and Redmond Kirby’s top class finish put the favourites in front.

But the Glen quickly showed their sprit with two efforts in the following minutes. Brendan Long’s shot from the left was saved and then Danny Kiely's drive was deflected for a corner.

The game could have swung Macroom's way in the 7th minute. Then William O’Riordan crossed to Barry O’Donnell but his close range shot came back off the post.

Glen were persistent and equalised in the 19th minute. Kelleher raced onto a long ball by keeper Kiely and coolly slotted it past the advancing Shane O'Leary.

But there was bad news for the Glen in the 32nd minute when a defender  picked up his second yellow of the game. 

Macroom though never took advantage and it was Glen who seized the initiative at the start of the second half. They came very close to scoring in the 50th minute. Then, after a foul on Danny Kiely, Brendan Long hit a fine free from the right. He found Thomas Kelleher unmarked by the far post but the header was off target.

Macroom didn't heed the warning and fell behind in the 58th minute. Danny Kiely’s great crossfield pass found Kelleher in the box. He still had some work to do but calmly worked the ball into space and then hammered it past keeper Shane O'Leary.

The visitors fought hard enough but generally didn't create that many clear chances. O’Riordan had a drive well saved by Kiely immediately after the goal and then saw his inviting cross just missed by the diving Kirby in the 62nd minute.

Glen reinforced their grip on the game in the 71st minute. Danny Kiely reacted quickest as a back pass came in. He beat keeper O’Leary to the touch and rolled the ball into the empty net.

Kirby should have pulled one back a few minutes later but rolled his shot into the side netting. Keeper Kiely made a fine last gasp save from Sheehan, who had crept in behind the defence in the 77th minute, and later efforts by O’Donnell and sub Michael Cahill, though having the beating of Kiely, flew across goal and wide of the far post. 

Glen Celtic: Ken Kiely, John Murphy, Patrick O'Leary, Timmy Kelleher, Billy Long, Danny Kiely, John Long, Patrick Long, Thomas Kelleher, Brendan Long (captain) and Mick Shaw. Sub used: Paul Monahan for Thomas Kelleher (67th minute).
Macroom: Shane O'Leary (captain), Darren O'Brien, Pat Kelleher, Darragh Deasy, Trevor O’Brien, John Angland, William O’Riordan, Kevin Sheehan, Anthony O’Donoghue, Redmond Kirby and Barry O’Donnell. Subs used: Alan O’Connor for Kelleher (54th minute), Patrick Burns for O'Brien (72nd) and Michael Cahill for Sheehan (83rd).

Referee: Stephen O’Connell.