Featured post

Nostalgia MOTD Dec 2005 Lakewood v Everton

AUL 1  11.12.2005
Lakewoodx Athletic 2 Evertonx 0

Ian O'Mahony and captain Brendan O’Leary scored the goals as Lakewood Athletic, the leaders in Murphy’s Stout AUL 1, improved their position at the top with a deserved 2-0 home win over lowly Everton.

But the city visitors suffered some bad luck in the encounter, even if Lakewood did deserve the three points. Everton lost a player to an early injury, a mis kick helped Lakewood take a late first half lead and then a missed penalty allowed the leaders off the hook in the final quarter.

The big talking point in the first half was the 18th minute ankle break suffered accidentally by Everton midfielder Alan Kelly, which led to a 30 minute delay in play resuming. 

Referee Damien O'Mahony took charge of making the player comfortable and stand-in Lakewood manager Noel Mullins produced a stretcher and a covering for the injured player until the ambulance arrived to take him to hospital. Alan is wished a speedy recovery.

Lakewood, with man of the match Gary Lucey doing very well on the left, began to get a grip on it and threatened regularly as half-time approached.

There was a big warning for Everton in the 39th minute. Then, Ian Bohane broke up the right for Lakewood and crossed towards two incoming colleagues in the box but Everton defender Mark Dalton got back to make a brilliant interception and direct the ball out for a corner.

The opening goal came rather easily in the 43rd minute. O’Shea raced after a free over the top. Everton were slow to react and he had time to recover it on the left. His cross though should have been cleared but a  mis-kick allowed Ian O'Mahony bundle it home at the far post.

Everton showed a decent bit of spirit in the second half but were now finding it more difficult as Lakewood seemed determined to get their second sooner rather than later and manager Mullins sent O’Leary forward to reinforce the attack.

The clincher came from the 67th minute corner awarded after O’Donovan had produced a splendid tip over save from a penalty box blast by Bohane. The ball broke after two players jumped by the near post and Lakewood skipper O’Leary volleyed the dropping ball home from close range.

There was one scare to come for Lakewood and that arrived in the 74th minute. Everton broke well and their players combined up the left. Sub Darren Dorgan “dummied” the incoming low cross and  striker David O’Sullivan took possession only to be upended by his marker.

Referee O'Mahony pointed to the spot and Graham Hickey took the responsibility but was denied when Lakewood keeper Murphy, who had very little to do in the second half, dived to his right to make a very good save.

It was easy for Lakewood after that and they had quite a few chances of adding to their haul. Bohane went very close in the 84th minute, after good work by Gary Lucey and sub Joe Kelleher.

Three minutes later, the influential Lucey, the man of the match, played Kelleher clear into the box. Keeper O'Donovan advanced quickly and Kelleher lifted it neatly over him but was inches off target and Lakewood had to settle for a 2-0 victory.

Lakewood Athletic: Donnacha Murphy, Trevor Morrissey, Ronan Walsh, Brendan O’Leary (captain), Paul Lucey, Brian Kelly, John Kelly, Ian Bohane, Rob O’Shea, Ian O’Mahony and Gary Lucey. Subs used: Conor Cunningham for O’Shea (65th minute) and Joe Kelleher for P. Lucey (74th, injured).
Everton: David O’Donovan, Mark Dalton, Ray Laffan, Anthony Hayes (captain), Ken O'Mahony, Paul O’Callaghan, Stephen Browne, Alan Kelly, David O’Sullivan, Finbarr Duffy and Graham Hickey. Subs used: Michael O’Halloran for Kelly (18th minute, injured) and Darren Dorgan for Browne (61st).

Referee: Damien O’Mahony.