Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs Part 2

Nostalgia MOTD Dec 2005 Ballyphehane v Dunbar

Ballyphehanex Celtic 1 Dunbarx Celtic 3

Substitute Shane Brazier turned this game for Dunbar Celtic in extra time. Two tired teams, tied at 1-1 after a hundred minutes of this Munster Junior Cup game at Pfizer's Park, seemed destined for a penalty shootout but all that changed in the 13th minute of extra time.

Disappointed, having just failed to deliver a decent cross from a promising position, Brazier hurried back to midfield, robbed Ballyphehane ace Trevor Dunlea and raced back towards the box where he played a beautiful ball into the path of fellow sub Paul Walsh.

Walsh was through on keeper Alan Crowley but defender Philip Long upended him. Up stepped skipper Gary Tobin and he gave Crowley no chance from the spot kick.

"We weren't at the races today," said Ballyphehane manager Dave O’Mahony. Mick Cotter, who manages Dunbar with Paul Walsh, reckoned his side just about deserved the win. "We shaded it, I thought, but we made hard work of it".

The teams started this tie at a terrific pace and it was no wonder that on a good but stamina sapping pitch they tired towards the end. 

Dunbar had a couple of half chances in the opening minutes before the home side began to take a grip. Eric Dunlea fired just over, Damien Farrelly was just pipped to a long ball by keeper Danny Flaherty and then sweeper Philip Long cleverly beat the offside but had to settle for a corner.

In between, Dunbar’s Kevin O’Sullivan and Wayne Cooper combined to set up Craig “Disco” O'Leary but last season’s speedy youth ace had his effort brilliantly saved by Alan Crowley.

The opening goal came in the 14th minute and followed a lighting raid up the left. Trevor Dunlea sent Eric Dunlea away and he held off his marker well before crossing to Alan O'Mahony to shoot home from inside the box.

Dunbar equalised in the 27th minute, following a throw in by Ian Cotter on their left. Cooper beat Philip Long to head the ball into the six-yard box and found O'Leary whose neat header beat the keeper and dropped under the bar.

Dunbar introduced work delayed sub Walsh at the break and he came very close to putting them ahead but his 61st minute header from a corner by Chopper Cotter was brilliantly tipped over by keeper Crowley, perhaps the man of the match for the losers on the day.

The second half was poor by contrast with the first. There were very few chances and no one was surprised when the tie went to extra time. And here the pattern was maintained, but only for the first period.

There was a major opportunity for Ballyphehane in the opening minute of the second period when Jonathan Murphy’s ball over the top put midfielder Danny Long in. Keeper Flaherty was on alert and crucially got very close to Long whose shot just missed the goal.

The converted penalty was soon followed by a breakaway goal for Dunbar. Wayne O’Donovan led the counter and shot under retreating keeper Crowley. The deflected ball might well have made the net but man of the match O’Leary ran in to make sure and make the final score a rather flattering 3-1.

Ballyphehane Celtic: Alan Crowley, Joe Ryan, Wayne Hogan, Philip Long (captain), David Bennett, Danny Long, Trevor Dunlea, Jonathan Murphy, Alan O'Mahony, Damien Farrelly and Eric Dunlea. Subs used: Johnny Towler for Farrelly (64th minute) and Kevin Ward for O'Mahony (82nd).
Dunbar Celtic: Danny Flaherty, Gary Tobin (captain), Ian Cotter, Chris O'Sullivan, Wayne O'Donovan, Joe Healy, Gordon Sexton, Craig O'Leary, Kevin O'Sullivan, Wayne Cooper and Ian O'Riordan. Subs used: Paul Walsh for Sexton (at half-time), Shane Brazier for O'Riordan 52nd minute) and Michael O'Connor for Cooper (70th)
Referee: Sean Hegarty.