Featured post

Pearse Celtic v Kilreen Celtic 08.03.08

Nostalgia MOTD Nov '05: Coachford v Kinsale


Coachford 1 Kinsale 3
Kinsale celebrate

A double blast midway through the second half put Kinsale on their way to a 3-1 win over Coachford in the semi-final of the Murphy’s Stout Linnane League Cup at The Glebe on Sunday morning.

It was sweet revenge for the seasiders who lost the AOH Cup quarter-final replay at this very venue late last season but, for half the game, it looked possible that Mickey Walshe’s homesters would repeat that shock victory, a victory that put them on their way to eventual AOH glory.

On Sunday Coachford, somewhat against the run of play, took the lead in the 23rd minute. But Kinsale were eventually rewarded for their superiority with a couple of headed goals midway through the second half.
Derek McCarthy

Ken Harrington emerged as the two goal hero for the winners and his strike partner Declan Ryan scored one and had a great tussle with marker Ciaran Lucey. The half-time introduction of sub Dave Barry gave Kinsale an edge up the left and they also had Ryan Coyle in great form on the right flank.

Player-manager Peter Jones (who looks after the side with Ger Foran) was excellent in midfield and the back-line, particularly Pat Murphy, played quite well, except when failing to close down for Coachford's goal. Keeper Graham Quinn had little to do.

Coachford manager Mickey Walsh was delighted with the performance of his new signing John Paul Heffernan. He scored one and manager Walsh was puzzled as to how a second “goal” by the new man, netted after Kinsale had taken the lead, was dis-allowed for offside. 

The home defence, led by the evergreen Paddy Martin, played quite well and frustrated Kinsale for a long time though manager Walsh reckoned the first two Kinsale goals were of the soft variety but  he had no doubt that the better team won.  His strikers tried hard, particularly David Finnegan, and the wily Darren O'Brien didn't let the side down in midfield.

The winners, who started the better, should really have opened their account in the 4th minute. Then Danny Searls made ground up the left and passed the ball infield to Harrington who laid it off to player-manager Peter Jones. Jones spread the ball to the right where Ryan Coyle was racing into the box. But Coyle’s shot, though beating keeper David Moynihan, sped wide of the far post.

Kinsale kept the home defence under pressure and there was little sign of a Coachford attack, even though David Finnegan was doing his best. So it was a big surprise when Coachford went ahead in the 23rd minute. The Kinsale defence stood off as impressive newcomer John Paul Heffernan broke through the middle and were punished when the midfielder’s powerful drive sped past the right hand of keeper Graham Quinn.

The goal set Kinsale back for a while but still Coachford themselves rarely threatened and manager Walsh took off centre-forward Luke Mannix and replaced him with Colm O’Grady. And the sub came close to an immediate breakthrough. His neat pass had Finnegan breaking through but a brilliantly judged tackle on the 18 yard line by the excellent Pat Murphy saved the day.

Kinsale were back on the attack as the half closed and wasted a half chance in the 43rd minute. The lively Ryan Coyle forced a corner on the right and took it himself. The ball broke to Derek McCarthy but the inter-league striker blasted over from close range.

The visitors had the pretty strong wind behind them in the second half and that helped reinforce their grip on the game. Still, the goals wouldn’t come.

They unhinged the home defence in the 48th minute, thanks to the left wing run into the box of half-time sub David Barry. He eventually found Harrington but the 16 yard shot on the turn was too high.

Coyle made a great run on the right in the 65th minute and crossed. McCarthy met it on the volley but his edge of the box effort was over the top and so Kinsale frustration continued.

But not for long more. They equalised in the 68th minute. A terrific ball out of defence, from right to left, by Jeremy O’Donovan sent Barry clear on the wing and his cross towards the far post was headed home by Declan Ryan who outjumped his marker.

And the seasiders made it 2-1 in the very next minute. This time Coyle and defender Colin Kilty made the breakthrough on the right. Kilty got in a terrific cross and Harrington rose at the far post and squeezed it pass Moynihan.

Kinsale though could not quite kill off the spirited home challenge and Coachford kept battling and indeed had the ball in the net shortly afterwards. There wasn't much protest to the early whistle by referee John Linehan from the players, including “scorer” Heffernan, but manager Walsh thought his new signing had been onside when the pass was hit.

The icing on the cake for the winners came in the final minute of normal time. Derek McCarthy picked up a clearance from his defence in the centre circle. Harrington timed his run well, collected the pass, smuggled the ball past the advanced keeper and then, despite Ciaran Moynihan breathing down the back of his neck, rolled in the third to send Kinsale to the Cross.

The game was one of the few played this weekend because of the bad weather and Coachford can take great credit for having The Glebe in tip top condition. In the final, Kinsale will play the winners of the Grattan United v Passage tie, one of the many games postponed because of the recent bad weather.

Coachford: David Moynihan, Paddy Martin (captain), Paul Burke, Steven Goulding, Ciaran Lucey, Darren O'Brien, John Heffernan, Barry Kiely, Luke Mannix, David Finnegan and Steven Hackett. Subs used: Colm O’Grady for Mannix (33rd minute), Ruan Linehan for O'Brien (59th) and John Carroll for Finnegan (72nd).
Kinsale: Graham Quinn, Pat Murphy, Peter Jones, Colin Kilty, Jeremy O’Donovan, Derek McCarthy, Ken Harrington, Declan Ryan, Ryan Coyle, Florence Lynch (captain) and Daniel Searls. Sub used: Dave Barry for Searls (at half-time).

Referee: John Linehan.