Featured post

The death has occurred of KATHLEEN O'SULLIVAN...

Nostalgia MOTD: Leeds v Ballintotis 20.11.05

AUL 1B  (20.11.2005)

Leedsx 0 Ballintotisx 3

Paudie O’Sullivan scored twice as Ballintotis moved up the rankings in Murphy’s Stout AUL 1B with a 3-0 win over hosts Leeds on Sunday.

Leeds hit a post early on before falling behind in the 17th minute. The home side, not having the best of seasons, took the game to their stronger opponents for the next fifty minutes or so before skipper Willie O’Brien set up a beauty for O’Sullivan in the 73rd minute and that more or less finished the contest.

The visitors started strongly. In the opening minutes, Leeds skipper Jonathan Cooney took a Donal O’Sullivan header off the line and then Paudie O’Sullivan beat two defenders and shot past the keeper but the ball ran across the face of the goal.

Ballintotis were in again in the 7th minute and only a terrific penalty box tackle by Colin Chandley on Willie O'Brien denied the East Cork side a goal.

Leeds almost shocked their visitors in the 11th minute when Rob Kreigal's angled drive flew past the keeper and hit the far post. The breakthrough soon followed, Paudie O’Sullivan stabbing home from close range after a corner had been helped on.

Ballintotis then seemed to relax and lively Leeds made a share of chances. Midfielder Barry Lawlor twice went close and, just before the break, sent Alan Holland clear but a timely tackle by Tony McDonnell ended that move.

Early in the second half, Paul Galvin split the Ballintotis backs and keeper Behan did well to save a Cooney drive.

Leeds should have been finished off in the 65th minute when a resurgent Ballintotis broke through, thanks to a fine pass by Diarmuid O’Sullivan and an excellent cross by O'Brien but the incoming Declan Ryan sent his close range volley over the bar.

The clincher came in the 73rd minute. O'Brien intercepted a Leeds pass just outside the box and neatly played O’Sullivan through and the scorer got away from Burke before slipping the ball past the advancing keeper.

There was then a minor hold-up after Ballintotis player Diarmuid O’Sullivan received a slight facial injury as he reinforced his defence for a deadball situation. Experienced referee Jim McGrath restored calm and the teams got on with what was generally a sporting game.

Leeds may have been down but they were far from out and continued their attempts to get back into it. They produced a good move in the 81st minute when Burke placed Lawlor for a dangerous cross that was cut out by Donal O’Sullivan.

In the next minute, a long diagonal ball by Leeds full back Chris Wall got Kreigal free on the right and his powerful shot was just outside the near post.

Ballintotis made doubly sure of the points in the 83rd minute. Leeds claimed for offside as the ball came in over their defence. Ballintotis though kept playing and got the ball back to Eoin O’Sullivan who displayed good control at the edge of the box before firing low past keeper Larkin to make the final score 3-0.

Leeds (white): Graham Larkin, Kevin Drennan, Chris Wall, Colin Chandley, Sean Burke, Kevin Magee (12), Jonathan Cooney (captain), Barry Lawlor, Rob Kreigal, Paul Galvin and Alan Holland. Subs used: Niall Riordan for Magee (at half-time) and Donal Riordan for Drennan (50th minute).
Ballintotis: Brian Behan, Paul Foley, Donal O’Sullivan, Anthony McDonnell, Diarmuid O’Sullivan, Declan Ryan, Eoin O’Sullivan, Willie O'Brien (captain), Mit Konek, Paudie O’Sullivan and James Barry. Sub used: Paul Barry for Ryan (84th minute.

Referee: Jim McGrath.