Featured post

Innishvilla and Innishannon Photos

AUL Nostalgia w/e Dec 18th 2004

AUL Nostalgia w/e Dec 18th 2004

Part One
Blarney Streetx Athletic

Hillingtonx 0 Blarney Street Athletic 2

Blarney Street Athletic’s ambition of making the top three in Murphy’s Stout AUL 1A before Christmas came a little closer on Sunday morning when, inspired by sub Ger Cronin, they turned on the style in the second half to see off a determined and spirited challenge from home side Hillington to earn a deserved 2-0 win.

Hillington, under new manger Conor Foley, gave as good as they got in the first half. But Cronin’s perceptive passes unhinged them regularly in the second half and the willing striker Ken Touhy was first to take advantage. His goal came in the 70th minute and, four minuets from time, sub Jason Murphy whacked in the second.

Touhy came close as early as the 3rd minute when the Hillington defence dithered but it was the home side that had the first clear opportunity. That came midway through when the outstanding Trevor Kelleher put Mark Bickerstaffe clean through. But he delayed a little too long and had to settle for a corner which, along with a free a few minutes later, was wasted.

Hillington were lucky enough in the 32nd minute. Then their defence was exposed and Street skipper John Paul Thompson got in behind. His angled effort beat the keeper but Kelleher headed off the line.

Blarney Street, managed by Derek Power and his assistant Donal Cronin, took a firm grip after the break and came close in the 52nd minute. A sweeping move ended with Power slipping Touhy in but his low shot was well saved.

Power himself should have had scored in the 54th minute. He collected a brilliant through ball from Cronin, skipped around the keeper but his hasty shot flew wide of the empty goal.

Four minutes later, Cronin found Touhy in the box but his smart shot on the turn was well saved by keeper Keane. The corner was played short by Power to Thompson and he worked his way along the end-line before beating Keane with a lob but that man Kelleher was there again to head off the line.

In the 68th minute, Touhy played a one two with Thompson but found keeper Keane at his feet before he could get his shot away. But Touhy got away from Keane as they both raced for another Cronin ball. Touhy smuggled it past the advancing keeper and scored from a narrow angle.

There was little sign of a Hillington comeback and Murphy made it safe in the 86th minute. Colin McKeown sent Foley free on the right and he passed forward to Thompson who beat Kelleher on the end-line before pulling the ball back for Murphy to rifle it into the top of the net.

Blarney Street hope to build on this and get back challenging for promotion. Hillington’s manager Foley, hoping to avoid the other end of the table, will also take some encouragement from this spirited performance.

Hillington: Colin Keane, Paul O’Rourke (captain), Dave Ryan, Liam Foley, Trevor Kelleher, Graham Horgan, Liam Galvin, John Forrest Ken Lee, Chris O’Connell and Mark Bickerstaffe. Sub used:  Conor Foley for Bickerstaffe (81st minute).
Blarney Street Athletic: Alan O'Leary, Colin McKeown, Jonathan Murphy, Anthony Peelo, Alan Conroy, Jimmy Foley, Dave Barry, Derek power, Ken Touhy, John Paul Thompson and Gary Coughlan. Subs used: Ger Cronin for Barry (at half-time), Mark Bennett for Power (60th minute) and Jason Murphy for Touhy (83rd).
Referee: Thomas Lynch.

Keeper Dermot O'Brien’s shootout save helped Leeside to a 4-3 win over Donegal hosts Cockhill and Johnny O’Sullivan's Little Island team will be in the hat for this evening’s 6th round draw in Cahir.

O’Sullivan was full of praise for his charges, not so for the officials, especially when they ordered a retake in the shootout after another O'Brien save. But it all worked out in the end. “This was a great team display, I wouldn't want to single out any one player but you can mention them all. We were well prepared. We had a quiet Saturday night and Billy Hegarty had them out on the beach for a training spin at 9.30am on match day”.

The game itself ended at 2-2. The home side took an early lead and Conor O'Leary headed in a Derek Delea corner for the first half equaliser. Leeside were making the chances but not taking them until Delea made it 2-1 but Cockhill levelled it with ten to go.

Village Utd led three times in Wexford but it was home side St Cormac's that were celebrating in the end, having qualified on a 4-3 decision after extra time. Conan Burns, Brian Sheehan and Patrick Dilworth all scored for Village but Cormac's came back each time. Jinty O’Sullivan and Sheehan were best for the disappointed visitors.

Macroom lost 3-0 on penalties after their Clonmel game against Old Bridge ended at 2-2. Willie O’Riordan put the visitors in front after Alan O’Shea had flicked on an Anthony O’Donoghue cross and it was from an O’Riordan free that Norman Kelly headed their extra time equaliser. John Angland, Darra Deasy and Trevor O'Brien impressed for the losers.

Churchview put in a great team effort and were within a couple of minutes of a 1-0 win in Limerick. Thomas Long had the visitors in front but Granville’s late normal time equaliser was followed by two extra time goals.

John Hourigan's second minute strike put Fairhill United on their way to a morale boosting 3-1 win over North Mon visitors Lakewood Athletic in the 3rd round of the Murphy’s Stout AOH Cup.

Things haven't been going well for the promoted Hill in Premier A but all that was forgotten about on Saturday. Lakewood did equalise but Kenneth Crinnion restored the lead and a last minute effort by Kevin O’Sullivan put the icing on the cake for the winners whose tops were Eddie Shaw, O’Sullivan (re-signed from Rockville) and sharp striker Crinnion.

Darra Connolly and Chris McSweeney were the marksmen as Passage made it through to the fourth round with a 2-1 win over visitors Ballintotis. Mervyn O’Connor and Paul Coughlan netted for John Murphy’s victors. The Ballintotis marksman was Owen O’Sullivan and they had five star inputs from Pakie O'Mahony, Pat Fox and Willie O'Brien.

Eric Marah scored his second hat trick in as many weeks but his Everton were pipped 5-4 by Lee Rangers, the Murphy’s Stout AUL Team of the Month for November. Michael O’Halloran also netted for Everton and their tops were Alan Forde, Ian O’Riordan and Ray Laffan.

Sub Dave O’Connell and Sean Mullins were influential for Rangers. Barry O’Callaghan (2), Willie Lee and Pat O’Donovan all scored for Rangers before Ray O’Connell got the winner.

Sharpshooters for Northvilla in their 4-1 win over Millstreet were Stephen O’Connor, Kevin Goldsmith, Mark O’Sullivan (great free) and Alan Stanton and their tops, in an impressive team display, were Ray Foley and O’Sullivan. Sub John O’Sullivan scored for the losers and their best were Danny O’Riordan and Tim Kiely. 

Noel O’Riordan’s goal and five star shows by John Angland and Conor Kelleher helped Rathcoole B to a 1-1 draw with Blackpool Celtic.

Rathcoole A did even better and goals from Gerald O’Connell (penalty, after a foul on Tadhg Brown), a Browne solo and a Hugh Sheehan header off a James O’Connor free earned them a 3-2 success over higher ranked Castleview.

Wilton Utd, thanks to goals by Paul O’Mahony, Mark Dooley, Fergal Ryan and Fergal Giltinan (pen.), came from behind and beat Springfield 4-1.

Dave Barry, just re-signed from Carrigtwohill, scored the insurance goal as St John Bosco’s B advanced to the third round of the Murphy’s Stout Corinthians Cup with a 3-2 derby win over visitors Churchvilla. All the goals came in the first half. Eric Desmond put the Saints in front in the 5th minute, Villa equalised in the 6th. Then Kenneth O’Mahony and Barry scored before Churchvilla converted a 45th minute spotter.

James O’Shea and Dave Hickey impressed for Ballyvolane as they made it through to the second round with a hard earned 2-1 win away to Watergrasshill Utd C. Peter Nugent and John Magnier (pen.) had the first division side two up.

Goals by Aidan O'Brien, Gordon Lynch, Ciaran Speight and man of the match Brian Milner made it 4-1 for Inter City over Coachford.

Dan Greene’s Strand Utd edged their way into the last four of the Murphy’s Stout President’s Cup with a 5-4 shootout win over neighbours Ballincollig. Former sharpshooter Dan was delighted with the quality of his kickers’ penalties and the save by keeper Martin McSweeney that made the difference.

Strand were ahead after 30 seconds when Eoin Byrne fired his penalty box strike into the roof of the net but Ballincollig equalised in the 15th minute. Martin Neilon, Damian Barry and Brendan Crowley played well for the winners.

Doneraile qualified with a 6-5 shootout win against host Grattan Utd. It was s smashing game. Doneraile scored before the break and Dave Byrne equalised in the 55th minute. 

Doneraile had a man sent off after that but Martin Doocey’s men couldn’t capitalise, even though Byrne and Graham Walters did their very best.

Mark Neville put Los Zarcos ahead but Central Rovers came back with goals by James Mullins, James Murray, Steve O’Donovan and Darren McCarthy to win 4-1. Top performers here were Richie Ivors, Paul Connolly and Mark O’Mahony for the victors, James O’Sullivan and Sean Lawlor for the losers.

Carrigaline 2 (Clive Allen, Mick Mendez) Killinardrish 3 (Pat O'Leary, Rob Wiseman 2). Semi-final qualifiers: Central Rovers, Doneraile, Killinardrish and Strand.

Park Utd 1 Coachford 2
“We’ll bounce back, hopefully next week against Springfield,” vowed Park assistant manager Davy O’Connor having seen his side slide to their second defeat in a row in Murphy’s Stout Premier A.

Coachford were the 2-1 winners in Mitchelstown and Mickey Walsh, their manager, was upbeat: “This was a great team show; the lads showed great spirit. I don't want to particularly pick out any one player but great credit is due to the experienced Darren O’Brien, to inter player John Hogan and to the up and coming Ciaran Lucey.”

Park though should have had a share of the points. In the closing stages, sub Kieran Walsh had penalty well saved by outstanding Coachford keeper David Moynihan. Moynihan then squared up to Graham Brooks in a one to one. Brooks toe poked past but his shot hit the side netting.

It was nil nil at the break but Coachford would have been ahead but for a brilliant 44th minute save by Park keeper Dave White from Steven Goulding. Park took the lead early in the second half. Then Kieran Duggan headed on a Simon Maher corner and Darius Jankosiwz scored from close range.

Hogan equalised on the hour mark, netting from a Goulding pass and, with 15 to go, David Finnegan rose to head the winner from a Tim Dennehy corner.

Togher Rovers scored two smashing goals through Steve Duncliffe and Alan Molloy but St John Bosco's took the points with a 5-2 win.

Bosco's went ahead early on with a beauty of their own, Jim O’Donoghue finishing off a multi pass move with a neat flick to Ken Kelleher who did the business. Midway through, Mick O’Connell picked out Kelleher at the far post and it was 2-0.

Then O’Donoghue sent Golden Boot contender Didy in for the third before Duncliffe got one back before the break. The Saints killed it off early in the second half when O’Donoghue and John Cody stretched their lead. Top performers here were O’Donoghue and Eric Costigan for the winners, Ray Kearney and Kevin Cummins for Togher.

Promoted Glenthorn, with midfielder Alan Falvey and striker Connie Kent on song, came from behind and won 3-1 against Dripsey. Eoin Geaney equalised with a great strike. Colin Falvey soloed in from halfway to fire a beauty on the hour and then Ken Hackett sent Dave Buckley in to chip the keeper.

In the Premier, goals from Jason McGillacuddy and Conor Twomey earned Rockville a 2-1 win over Grattan Utd.

A late goal clinched a 3-1 win for Greenmount Rangers over Villa Utd. Mark O’Regan netted for the losers and their best were John Betts and Terry O’Callaghan. The Greenmount marksmen were Gavin Dorgan, Darren Gubbins and Damien O'Neill.

Richmond found their shooting boots in the second half to record a 3-1 come from behind win over Pearse Celtic in Murphy’s Stout AUL 1. Richmond assistant manager Gerry Williams was delighted: Pearse Celtic is always a tough game for us and today proved no different. The performance and the result were very pleasing to manager Mick McAuliffe as he now sees the team getting stronger with each game.”

“We started brightly and should have been ahead inside the first five minutes, but hasty finishing foiled us. Having the bulk of possession in the half meant nothing when Pearse took the lead on the stroke of half-time. A mix up in midfield left them in for a soft opener.”

“The second half was much the same as the first but the finishing was better.  A good move saw David O'Neill head home at the far post. A similar move lead to the Pearse keeper parrying the ball out to the inrushing Adrian Conway who scored number two. Just before the end Ben Ahern finished off the game with a beautiful strike from an acute angle.”

The final score was 3-1 for Richmond and it was Eddie Kelly who got that Pearse goal. Mark O'Shea and Dave Waldock were best for the winners.

Albert Rovers, 4-1 up at the break, just about hung on to pip Douglas Hall 4-3. Denis Sheehan (2), Martin Troy and Kevin Sadic netted for the winners and their top players were Noel Hayes, Mark Collins and Kevin O’Callaghan. Donal Moynihan (2) and Brendan Crowne scored for the Hall.

Best for Casement Celtic, held to a scoreless draw by visitors Hibernians, were Stephen Dorney and Shane O’Connor.

Ger Burns and Billy McCarthy led the way for Togher Rovers as they posted a 2-0 win over De Courcey Albion in Murphy’s Stout AUL2. Togher opened with a spectacular 25 yard top corner strike by Aidan O’Sullivan after Kieran O’Sullivan had pulled his pass back from the end-line and Andy Keegan added the second.

Alan O’Mahony scored another hat trick to help Ballyphehane Celtic in their way to a 6-1 win over Killeady Celtic. The Cotter brothers, Kevin and Brendan, got one each for the winners and Damien Farrelly chipped in with the other. Right full Joe Ryan and midfielder Trevor Dunlea were in impressive form for the  victors.

Player-manager Sean Hennessy struck in the 87th minute to make sure his side took the points against Glanworth United in Murphy’s Stout AUL 2A. Hennessy may have clinched it but it was the Twohig brothers, Denis and John, who caught the eye over the ninety minute.

Kenneth Kearney was another man to shine for the 4-2 winners and he opened the scoring. Then John Twohig converted a spotter after a foul on brother Denis to make it 2-0 at the break.

Back came Glanworth. Then John Twohig was fouled and Kearney took over the penalty taking duty to put the ‘View back in front and Hennessey made sure with number four.

Ryan Cahill’s double and Keith Linzell’s single gave Waterloo a 3-0 win over Buttevant. Brian McSweeney, Kieran Patton and Mick O’Donovan were on song for the victors.

Ned Finn and Diarmuid Hanley led Park to a 6-1 win over Rylane, their goals by Gary Lynch (3), Eamonn O’Sullivan, Kieran Walsh and Darren O’Grady (25 yard gem).

Jimmy O’Shea’s unstoppable first half strike put Glen Celtic on their way to an impressive 3-0 away win over Knockraha in Murphy’s Stout AUL 2B. Michael Shaw was a key figure for Glen in the second period. His pass led to Daniel Kiely making it 2-0 and then Shaw himself netted the third off a pass by David O’Donoghue.

This was a tremendous team show by the Glen and their standout players were keeper Steve O’Donoghue, full back Pat O’Leary and centre forward Tomas Kelleher.

Kieran McGarry (2), Steve O’Reilly, Mark McGroaty and Paddy Lawlor were the sharpshooters for Passage in their 5-2 win against UCC.

There was a cracking 1-1 game between Hibernians and visitors Ballyvolane. The city side went ahead in the first half when Colm Forde fired in a cracking 20 yard shot from a poor enough angle.

Paddy O’Mahony’s Hibs turned up the heat after the break and scored a deserved equaliser 8 minutes from time when Keith Murphy put Thomas Horgan through to do the necessary. Top performers here were Liam O’Riordan, Gary Collins and Conor Madden for the visitors, Declan O’Flynn, Brian Philpot and Alan O’Callaghan for O’Mahony’s men.

Goals by Declan Cronin and Philip O’Riordan made it 2-1 for Village over Watergrasshill.

Michael Cliffe opened and closed the scoring as Bishopstown registered a 3-1 victory over Ardmanning Celtic in AUL 3. Cliffe was taken down for a 15th minute penalty and converted it himself and, in the 65th minute, tapped in the third from a corner. Shane Lordan’s splendid 27th minute chi had made it 2-0 and Ardmanning pulled one back early in the second half.

Barry Cullinane and Kevin Finn led Knockavilla to a 3-1 away win over Dripsey Celtic whose tops were midfielders Cathal Dineen and Eamonn Morrish. Pat Desmond and Riche Fitton had the winners two up in the second half. Fergal Kelleher pulled one back with ten to go but Dripsey’s hopes were dashed when Keith White netted in injury time.

Ger Crowley and Denis Murphy (late winner) were the marksmen for Kilreen Celtic as they came from behind to defeat Togher Celtic 2-1. Mick Gallahue fired in a Togher free for the opener and their tops were keeper Daniel Woods and centrehalf Glen Walsh. Marco Petrassi, Mark Murphy and Shane Foley played key roles for the winners.

James Forrest and Des Walsh played well and Pat O’Sullivan scored but their Harp Utd were beaten 3-1 by Tower Street Athletic whose sharpshooters were John Coleman, Alan Greaney and Scott Crowley. Keeper Jim McCarthy and scorer Crowley excelled for Tower Street.

Dunbar Celtic, with Michael O’Connor and Anthony Murnane in top form, came from 2-1 down to pip Ballinhassig 3-2. Dunbar were one up at the break but Ballinhassig were better during the third quarter. Anthony O’Donoghue equalised after Mick Cosgrove headed back a Mark McCrumm corner and then Aidan Morris put them in front.

Denis McCarthy and Cosgrove played well for the losers. Paul Walsh put Dunbar in front in the first half. Alan Hawkins equalised in the second and Shane Brazier scored the winner.

Man of the match Derek Winters netted a hat trick and Stephen Doody a double as Mallow Celtic outgunned host Keim FC in a topsy turvy game in AUL 3A. Mallow were a goal down after a minute, went on to lead 4-1 but Keim had it back to 4-3 with ten to go. Winters and Brian Doody excelled for Mallow.

All the goals came in the second half as Blackstone Rovers kept their unbeaten start to the season going with a hard-earned 4-0 win over local rivals Parkview Celtic in 3B. Rovers, playing at home and with Dave O Connor in inspiring form, had the majority of the game. 

Parkview defended well in the first half, but conceded just after the break, when Ger O'Brien scored his first of three headers. The never-say-die attitude of the visitors meant the game was still undecided even when birthday boy Francis Cooney made it 2-0 on the hour after great work by O’Connor. 

O'Brien sealed it ten minutes from time and completed his hat-trick just before the whistle. A patient and impressive display throughout the team and the magic of O’Connor and O'Brien ensured Rovers remain in the hunt for honours.
Mel O’Doherty and Neil Kingston were the scorers for Hibernians in their 2-2 tie with hosts Glenthorn Celtic. Sean Concannon and Steve O'Brien played really well for the Shanbally team, keeper Steve Deasy and defender Ger Cronin for Glenthorn whose scorers were Paul O'Neill and Jason Falvey (a well worked effort).

Well done to Lee Rangers, the Murphy’s Stout Team of the Month for November.

The Murphy’s Stout Match of the Week takes place next Saturday and sees Mayfield Utd, managed by Declan Keane and Tony Carroll, take on Gerry Smyth’s Ballintotis. Kick off in Mayfield is 2.00pm.

The AUL Oscar Traynor side will travel to Dublin on the Bank Holiday Monday to renew acquaintance with the Dublin AUL. First, they are away to Clare (next Sunday) in the Oscar Traynor while the league’s youths travel to Tralee on Saturday.

League secretary martin Conlon has been on to say that the home team must change when there is a clash of gear. “Teams should wear the gears that they register with the league. Should a club change their registered gear, they must let the league know in writing so that the information may be passed on.”

Changes to be noted in your Secretary's Handbook: City Wanderers - Sean Burke, 58 Lake Lawn, Well Road, Douglas, Cork. (Home: 4291866
Work: 4345111, Mobile: 087-9522853); Casement Celtic - Ian Harrington, 3 Connelly Green, Ballyphehane, Cork. (Mobile: 0479283973); UCC - Kevin Bambury, 4 Hazelwood Grove, Glanmire,
Co. Cork. (087-2936330).

Condolences are extended to the Forrest family (Blarney), the O'Leary family (Dripsey Celtic) and the Kingston family (Macroom) on their recent bereavements.

The 6th round draw for the Statoil FAI Junior Cup will take place at the Shamrock Lounge, Cahir, Co. Tipperary at 8.30pm this Wednesday evening.

The Christmas weekend will be fixture free. There will be a full programme of Under 17 games (nothing else) on New Year’s Day and a close to a normal programme on Sunday January 2nd.

Fourth round draw: Blackcastle Utd or Nenagh Celtic v Newtown FC; Lifford Oldtown or Shannon Olympic v Maymount Celtic; Rathkeale or Foynes or Ballingarry v Tramore or Ferrybank; Ringmahon Rgs or Crossmahon v Kinsale; Waterford Crystal or Carrick Utd v Glenthorn Celtic or Wilton Utd; Crosshaven or Drinagh Rgs or Fermoy v Janesboro; Hibernians or Bolton v Athea Utd or Newcastle West; Leeds (AUL) v Regional Utd; Leeside v Cahir Park or Rosegreen Rgs; Village United v Clonmel Celtic or Clonmel Town or Gooldscross; Kildimo or Abbeyfeale Utd v Fairview Rgs or Charleville; Tralee Dynamoes or Fenit Samphires or Killarney Celtic or Listowel Celtic v Everton or UCC; Caherdavin Celtic v Glengoole Utd or St Michael’s; Rineanna Rvs v Castleview; Clodiagh Rgs or Cormackstown v Hill Celtic; Rockmount or Leeds (MSL) or Tramore Ath v Greenmount Rangers.

Murphy's Stout AUL Junior
Statoil FAI Junior Cup: St Cormac’s (Wexford) 4 Village Utd 3 (aet); Old Bridge (Tipperary) 2 Macroom 2, Old Bridge won 3-0 on pens; Cockhill (Donegal) 2 Leeside 2, Leeside won 4-3 on pens; Kinsale 0 Bellurgan Utd 2; Granville (Limerick) 3 Churchview Celtic 1 (aet).

Murphy’s Stout President’s Cup quarter-finals: Strand Utd 1 Ballincollig 1, Strand won 5-4 on pens; Grattan Utd 1 Doneraile 1, Doneraile won 6-5 on pens; Carrigaline Utd 2 Killinardrish 3; Los Zarcos 1 Central Rovers 4.

Murphy’s Stout AOH Cup: Northvilla 4 Millstreet Celtic 1; Wilton Utd 4 Springfield 1; Rathcoole Rovers B 1 Blackpool Celtic 1; Rathcoole Rovers 3 Castleview 2; Lee Rangers 5 Everton 4; Fairhill Utd 3 Lakewood Athletic 1; Passage A 2 Ballintotis 1; Mayfield B v Kinsale off.

Murphy’s Stout Corinthians Cup: Evergreen 3 Glenvale 0; Celtic Utd v Knocknaheeny Celtic not played; Watergrasshill Utd C 1 Ballyvolane A 2; St John Bosco’s B 3 Churchvilla 2; Inter City 4 Coachford B 1.

Murphy’s Stout Premier League: Greenmount Rangers 3 Villa Utd 1; Rockville 2 Grattan Utd 1.

Murphy’s Stout Premier A: Glenthorn Celtic 3 Dripsey Celtic 1; St John Bosco’s 5 Togher Rovers 2; Park Utd 1 Coachford 2.

Murphy’s Stout First Division: Buttevant 2 Crescent Athletic 0; Casement Celtic 0 Hibernians 0; Hillington 0 Blarney Street Athletic 2; Albert Rovers 4 Douglas Hall 3; Pearse Celtic 1 Richmond 3.

Murphy’s Stout Second Division: Village Utd 2 Watergrasshill 1; Innishannon 0 Greenmount Rangers 0; Waterloo 3 Buttevant 0; De Courcey Albion 0 Togher Rovers 2; Shandon Celtic 0 City Wanderers 6; Ballyphehane Celtic 6 Killeady Celtic 1; Park Utd 6 Rylane Celtic 1; Fairview 4 Glanworth Utd 2; Knockraha 0 Glen Celtic 3; UCC 2 Passage 5; Hibernians 1 Ballyvolane 1.

Murphy’s Stout Third Division: Keim FC 3 Mallow Celtic 5; Dunbar Celtic 3 Ballinhassig 2; Glenthorn Celtic 2 Hibs 2; Kilreen Celtic 2 Togher Celtic 1; Harp Utd 1 Tower Street Athletic 3; Bishopstown 3 Ardmanning Celtic 1; Dripsey Celtic 1 Knockavilla Celtic 3; Blackstone Rovers 4 Parkview Celtic 0.

Sports Gear Direct AUL Youths
FAI Youths Cup: Rockmount 1 Dunbar Celtic 3.

Youths Division One: College Corinthians 2 Lakewood Athletic 1; Leeds 0 Mayfield Utd 7.

Youths One A: Douglas Hall 3 Richmond 1; Wilton Utd 5 St Mary’s 2; Blarney Utd 2 Carrigaline Utd 2.

Part Two


The league junior manager John Murphy and his assistant Paddy Carroll have drafted Rockville defender Mark Barry into the Cork AUL’s Oscar Traynor Trophy panel for tomorrow’s final group game away to the Clare League, the holders and joint table toppers with their visitors. 

Murphy’s mission is simply stated: “We need a draw to top the group as the winners will have home advantage in the open draw. If we lose, we might miss out altogether and the winners of the other game between the West Cork League and the Business League, which is being played at the same time, could go through instead.”

Panel: Jason Keegan, Craig Donnelly and Derek Delea (Leeside); Eric Cahalane, John Gaffney, Gavin O’Connor and Gary Prout (Passage); Derek McCarthy and Dave Barry (Kinsale). Damien O'Neill and captain Gearoid O’Leary (Greenmount Rangers), Keith Shaw, Jason McGillacuddy and Mark Barry (Rockville), John Betts and Brian Montgomery (Villa Utd), John Hogan (Coachford) and Shane O'Leary (Macroom).

Carrigaline Utd get back to league duty this weekend with a top of the table clash with Kilreen Celtic. Quite a few of the other teams in the league will be hoping that Carrig go one better than when the pair last met. That Murphy’s Farm thriller ended at 2-2. If that game is anything to go by, tomorrow’s Ballea Park clash should be a cracker.

Carrig have been enjoying a good season to date but suffered a setback last weekend when pipped 3-2 by Killinardrish in the quarter-final of the President’s Cup. Clive Allen and Mick Mendez netted for the losers while Pat O'Leary and Rob Wiseman (2) scored for the victors. 

“Our youth policy is paying off now,” said Dunbar Celtic secretary Timmy Hewitt as the he looked forward to tomorrow’s two games, particularly the A team’s Saxone Cup quarter-final date with Innishannon.

“Paul Walsh is the player-manager and the captain is Gary Tobin. Paul should have a full panel to pick from and he may well add new signing Jason White (ex Everton) to the squad for tomorrow morning.”

Timmy points to keeper Danny Flaherty as a real star. “He is still underage for youths but can’t get into the youth team because of the fantastic form of Gary Duffy. Still he stayed with the club and has been a key player for this team this season and last.”

“We tried loads of keepers when Kevin O’Connor hung up his gloves after over twenty years service but it didn't really work out until young Flaherty, from Noonan Road, was given the job.”

“He is a confident kid and that confidence has spread to the team. Once he joined, they started winning games. He is playing out of his skin.”

Innishannon will be hoping to get back on the winning track when they play Dunbar tomorrow morning in Murphy’s Farm. Innishannon's form in the league has dipped recently and two back-to-back home losses have seen their unbeaten league record go by the board. 

Spokesman Michael Crowley: “We did manage to stop the rot somewhat with a hard fought scoreless draw with Greenmount Rangers last weekend. But we will still need a massive improvement if we are to take a step closer to Turner’s Cross.”

PRO Michael tells us that Innishannon “have the unfortunate tag of having lost to the last two Saxone Cup winners in the quarters, 2-1 to Greenmount Rangers in last year’s quarter final and on penalties to Dripsey Celtic in the quarter final the year

Innishannon play in AUL 2 while Dunbar ply their trade in 2B but the sides have already met this season. That encounter was in the AOH Cup and Dunbar came out on top, winning 3-1 after extra time.

Dunbar Celtic's current youth team is also going well and surprised quite a few with last weekend’s FAI Cup win over hosts Rockmount.

“They are a team of grafters. They all grew up together and they stick with one another,“ said a delighted Hewitt. “In some ways, going to see them is like déjà vu. In our heyday in the eighties, we had Finbarr and Eddie O’Connor starring for us. Now their sons, Michael and Barry, are our twin centrehalves.”

Young Michael is on the AUL youths side for today’s FAI group game in Kerry and Craig O'Leary is another Dunbar man in Liam McCarthy’s panel. First team skipper Gary Tobin is one of a trio of selectors that look after Dunbar’s youths; Mick Cotter and Johnny Reid are the others.

Dunbar B team manager, the recently retired Greg Downey, takes his team to Knockavilla on Sunday afternoon for a mid-table clash in AUL 3. John Rock captains Downey’s team, which features the evergreen Jimmy Crowley.

Just one game in the Lucozade Sport Munster Junior Cup tomorrow but it should be a good one and takes place in St Aidan's where Glenthorn Celtic entertain Wilton United in a 3rd round match.

Both sides can play good football and both do it regularly. Glenthorn, promoted this season, have settled well in Premier A and Troy Falvey’s men are currently second in the table. They are in good form as shown by last Sunday's 3-1 win over Dripsey Celtic.

Midfielder Alan Falvey ran the show here and with strikers like Connie Kent, Celtic will be tough opponents for Pat Bowdren's visitors. Wilton though have no fear of higher ranked opponents as they showed with last Sunday’s 4-1 AOH win over Springfield.

Village United, pipped in the FAI Cup in Wexford last weekend, have an easier task tomorrow afternoon and should make progress in the AOH against second division Killeady Celtic. Crescent Athletic visit Willie Ashman’s Hibernians for a 3rd round replay.

In the Corinthians Cup, first division Leeside B should be too strong for third division Glenthorn B while Churchview, who gave a great team show in losing in the FAI in Limerick, will be hot favourites to knock out visitors Brooklodge.

Mayfield United continued their long distance chase of One B leaders Leeside with last weekend’s 4-0 win over Greenwood and they’ll hope to get another three points on the board when they take on visitors Ballintotis in tomorrow’s Murphy’s Stout Match of the Week at Mayfield United Park, kick off 10.45am.

Mayfield pleased joint managers Declan Keane and Tony Carroll with their sharp performance against Greenwood, particularly striker Ian Saville and midfielder Trevor Ahern who each bagged a double. John Warren led a solid defence, still missing virus victim Mick Brosnan.

Buttevant will be hoping to follow up last week’s win over Crescent Athletic with another three points. The 1A opposition though is tougher this time as title chasing Northvilla come to the North Cork town.

Buttevant though are improving bit by bit and James Linehan, Tony Collins and Steve Relihan all showed good form in the 2-0 victory over Crescent Athletic. Diarmuid Herlihy headed in the opener and a Brendan Chawke free was deflected in for the clincher.

Ger Delaney, MFA secretary, has been in touch re arrangements for the open rounds of the Munster Junior and Youth Cups: “In the open round stages (4th Round on), all matches must be played on an enclosed ground where dressing facilities are available. If the home team cannot supply such a ground, the match shall switch to the away side’s enclosed ground.”

An enclosed ground is defined as a ground where access can only be gained through official entrances and where spectators are separated from the playing area by ropes and or railings. 

The duration of the games shall be 90 minutes. In the event of a draw, 10 minutes each way extra time shall be played. If still a draw at the end of extra time, then the game shall be decided by the FIFA penalty rule. 

Clubs get just one chance to stage an open round tie. “In all rounds of the competitions, up to and including the quarter-finals, when a game is not played at the first attempt at a venue because of ground or weather conditions, the game will be reversed to the away venue. This will also apply if a game has commenced, but not concluded because of ground or weather conditions.”

The Christmas weekend will be fixture free. There will be a full programme of Under 17 games (nothing else) on New Year’s Day and a close to a normal programme on Sunday January 2nd.
“We’re delighted with the home draw, particularly after our trip to Donegal,” said Leeside manager Johnny O’Sullivan on hearing his team had been paired with either Westport or Tralee in the 6th round of the FAI Junior Cup.

“Delighted too that we avoided the big guns, not that our visitors will be pushovers. We see this as a great chance to progress and the players are well aware of it. Not just the players. Local people are beginning to talk about our FAI run and will be happy with the chance to see us play at Little Island.”

“With the players we have, we should be going for it. We should be going for the big ones. We also have a home draw in the Munster Cup and isn't great to look forward to the New Year and two games like that. From now on, every game is a cup final and we have nothing to lose.”

St Mary's, who like Leeside won in Donegal last week, have also landed a home draw against Waterford opposition while Maymount Celtic, if they overcome 5th round opponents VEC, will be at home to Tipperary’s Peakevilla.

The draw is: Leeside FC [Cork] v Westport Utd [Mayo] or Tralee Dynamoes [Kerry]; Granville FC [Limerick] v Waterford Crystal [Waterford] or East End Utd [Kilkenny]; Trim Celtic [Meath] v Baldoyle Utd [Dublin] or Straide & Foxford FC [Mayo]; VEC FC [Dublin] or Maymount Celtic FC [Cork] v Peakevilla FC [Tipperary]; Aileach FC [Donegal] v Galway Hibs [Galway] or Dean Celtic [Kilkenny]; Newtown FC [Clare] or West Utd [Galway] v Bridge Celtic [Clare]; Dublin Bus FC [LSL] v Rosegreen Rgs [Tipperary]; Salthill Devon FC [Galway] v Crettyard Utd [Carlow] or Markievicz Celtic [Dublin]; Ballinasloe Town [Roscommon] v Carew Park FC [Limerick]; St Mary’s FC [Cork] v Tramore FC [Waterford]; Castlebar Celtic [Mayo] v Ballynanty Rvs [Limerick] or St Michael’s FC [Tipperary]; Bellurgan Utd [Louth] v Old Bridge FC [Tipperary]; Pike Rvs [Limerick] v Ballymun Utd [Dublin]; St Cormac’s FC [Wexford] v Killester Utd [Dublin]; Dicey Reilly’s FC [Sligo] v Park Rangers [Limerick]; Evergreen FC [Kilkenny] v Bridge Utd [Kilkenny]. Ties to be played 15th/16th January.