Featured post

AUL Nostalgia 1999

(Note: Quite a few games off, so some nostalgia from 1979/80 and 1984/85 added at bottom, otherwise the reports refer to w/e December 12th 1999)
Kinsalex (stripes) score v Glenvalex Dec 1999


Corinthians Athletic   2   Clonmany Shamrocks  0

Corinthians Athletic became the first AUL side to qualify for the last 32 of this season's Guinness FAI Junior Cup by beating Donegal visitors Clonmany Shamrocks 2 - 0 at Corinthians Park on Sunday morning.  The homesters scored early in each half on their way to a well deserved victory.

Clonmany ought back well after the first reverse and Corinthians owed much to the performance of keeper David Soden. True, he made the odd error in the difficult conditions but even managed to retrieve the ball on those rare occasions.  The losers also tried hard after the second goal but Corinthians defended comfortably enough for much of the second period and had their own chances on the break.

Corinthians had the first of the chances and Damien Huggins had a good early effort drive saved.  In the 11th minute Gus Bowen, winner of the man of the match for Wilton in the 1987 AOH Cup final triumph, fired in a rocket.  Peter Devlin dived to his left and conceded the corner.

That flag kick as half-cleared and came to Colin Hill on the right. His cross unhinged the defence and Caleb Sheehan arrived at the near post to head home a beauty.

The Donegal visitors showed their teeth in the 14th minute when a powerful long range free kick by centre half Sean Devlin flew just wide.  Midway through, Martin Kavanagh latched onto a long through ball but ran out of angle and his show towards the near post was easily saved by Soden.

In the 23rd minute, Soden blocked another long range special by Devlin but failed to hold the ball. It fell kindly for the incoming Stephen Harkin but Soden spread himself well and made the block.

Soden was kept busy at this stage.  In the 35th minute, he made a sound catch from a good effort by Robert McLaughlin.  Three minutes later, Cavanagh came in at the end of a sweeping Clonmany move and let fly from the right hand side of the box but Soden showed strong hands as he turned the power-packed drive behind by his near post for a corner.

The Donegal side had a grip and were expected to give Corinthians a torrid second half. But that grip was considerably loosened, that threat considerably reduced, when the home lads scored less than two minutes after the resumption.  Hill's cross from the right should have been cleared but Clonmany allowed it across the goal and the alert John Turner stretched out a leg and turned the ball into the net via the post.

Clonmany needed an early reply and were ever so close in the 55th minute when a free rebounded inside the Corinthians goal area. It finally came to Cavanagh but his close range flick was too high.  It was to be their clearest chance of this period and they never exerted the kind of pressure evident in the second quarter.

Indeed, the better second half opportunities were created by the winners and they came within inches of a beauty in the 69th minute.  Sub Frank Giltinan did well to hold the ball up and lay it off to Turner.  His cross from the left hand touchline sped into the box and Damien Huggins beat his man to it but the cross was centimeters too high and continued on across the face of the goal.

Corinthians came close again two minutes later.  Giltinan forced a corner kick. It was taken by Bowen and he found Martin Burke but his far post header wasn't a serious threat.

The home side then survived three Clonmany corners before finishing strongly.  Hill saw his 86th minute shot deflected just over the top and, in the final minute, Hill linked with Bowen but his shot off the return was wayward.

Corinthians Athletic:  Dave Soden, Harry Cripps, Paudie Dennehy, Paul O'Callaghan, Martin Burke, Gus Bowen, Damien Huggins, Colin Hill, Caleb Sheehan, Fintan Smith, and John Turner.  Subs used: Mick Flynn for Dennehy (56th minute, injured), Frank Giltinan for Sheehan (62nd), and Colm Motherway for Smith (80th).
Clonmany Shamrocks: Peter Devlin, Michael Bradley, Eamonn Reidy, Don McGonigle, Sean Devlin, John Harkin, Stephen Harkin, Robert McLaughlin, Paul McLaughlin, Martin Cavanagh, Eddie Doherty.  Subs sued: Sean Doherty for Reidy (66th minute) and Colin Doherty for McGonigle (76th).
Referee: Michael O'Farrell.

* Blarney Utd suffered their first defeat of the season and lost 2 - 1 away to Shamrock Boys of Bray.  All the goals came in the second half.  Raymond O'Leary worked his way through for a beauty to put understrength Blarney in front but Shamrocks came back and took their place in the last 32 with a late disputed winner.  Paul Fitton, Declan Twomey, and Carl Browne, stood out for the losers.
* While the two fifth round games were completed, the three fourth round matches did not take place because of the bad weather.  Bandon v Hibernians, Pearse Celtic v Rockville, and Kinsale v Glenvale, will have to be re-scheduled.

Fairhill Utd, 4 - 1 up at the break, went on to defeat Dripsey Celtic 4 - 2 in the Murphy's Stout AOH Cup.

Colin Murray was the hat trick ace for the 'Hill and he opened the scoring with a beauty; from the half-way line, he worked his way past three defenders and then rounded the keeper.

He added another two, one a glancing header, the other a tap-in, and then a  cracking free kick by Michael O'Sullivan yielded number four.  There would have  been a late fifth but a thundering shot from John McCarthy came back off the bar.  Keeper Rory Curtin and full back Wayne Bullman stood out for the winners.

Innishannon's luckless season in AUL 2 continued with a 3 - 1 home loss to Killowen.

Seamus Lyons opened Killowen's account when he scrambled the ball home after the Innishannon defence failed to clear a free kick by sweeper Karl Murphy.  Innishannon had their chances in the first half and Killowen's Billy Reidy made a couple of goal-line clearances.  Besides, keeper Eamonn Murphy and sweeper Karl were in impressive mood.

Visitors Killowen registered number two when Stephen Daly helped Martin O'Brien on his way.  Innishannon kept battling and pulled one back in the 85th minute when Carroll Daly converted a penalty after a foul on John Burke.  But there was an immediate reprisal as Barry Casey soloed away for Killowen's third.

Michael Crowley and Jeremy Hurley played well for the losers, keeper Eamonn Murphy, Billy Reidy, and sweeper Karl Murphy for the winners.

Park Utd  2  Glanworth Utd  4
The Murphy's Stout Match of the week lived up to its billing but home side Park Utd lost the lively encounter in Murphy's Stout AUL 2A 4 - 2 to Glanworth Utd.  Keeper James McNamara and Adrian Walsh impressed for the homesters.

Glanworth went head when John Paul Cotter scored after a corner kick.  Park missed a great chance of an equaliser before the break when Karl Burke's shot rebounded off the posterior of colleague Tadgh O'Connor.

The equaliser came early in the second half, Mike O'Donnell on target after a John McNamara pass. But Glanworth then took over.  Cotter restored their lead, Pat Quirke added a gem, and Pat Barrett, made it 4 - 1.  Park kept plugging away and pulled one back when Walsh scored from a penalty awarded for a foul on O'Connor.

Ballintotis, 2 - 1 up at the break, went on to defeat Bohemians 5 - 1 in Murphy's Stout AUL 2B.  Willie O'Brien was a hat trick hero for the winners.  His opening goal was probably the best;  the opening was created by Sean Carr's great cross and the finish was top notch.

Paul Barry and Jim Deane also netted for the rampant winners whose tops were Kevin Barry, Sean Carr, and Tom Kelly.  John Byrne and scorer John Cronin did well for the losers.  Before the game, a minute's silence was observed as a mark of respect to the late Paddy O'Regan (Bohemians).

The top of the table clash here ended in a 3 - 1 win for leaders Northvilla over second placed Corkbeg.  The Beg took the lead when Dan Kenneally scored but man of the match Stephen Hurley worked his way past three defenders and then beat the keeper to make it 1 - 1 at the break.

Late second half volleys by Liam Dennehy and Ger O'Brien earned Villa the decision.  Brian McCann and Ger Melville played well for the losers.

Ardmanning Celtic, leaders in Murphy's Stout AUL 3, stretched their unbeaten league run to thirteen with a 3 - 0 win over title rivals Bellmount Rovers.  Keeper Peadar Gorman and midfielder Kevin Cummins stood out for the winners, Barry Fitton and Nigel Daly for the Rovers.

Right full Michael Carey put the winners in front with a long range special and Denis Hayes made the half-time score 2 - 0 with a great header off an Alan Brown cross.  A smashing solo goal by Colm O'Leary completed the scoring.

President's Cup finalists Doneraile were back in league action on Sunday and had to pull out all the stops to get a 3 - 3 draw with visitors Donoughmore Athletic in Murphy's Stout AUL 3A.

First half goals from David Murray and Michael Sheehan had the visitors in front.  Doneraile, prompted by midfielder Dave Ryall and the O'Brien wingers, brothers Billy and Eddie, got a grip after the break and pulled one back through William Carey.

Doneraile kept applying the pressure and centre half Dave Donellan was unlucky not to score.  The deserved equaliser came when Ryall touched home a cross by John McAuliffe.

But Donoughmore weren't finished.  They bounced back and Murray struck again to put them ahead.  Now it was up to Doneraile and they showed true grit and took a point when David Walsh equalised with two minutes to go.

Second placed Newmarket Town suffered a 2 - 1 reverse away to Glanworth United.  All the goals came in the opening half.  Damien Walsh soloed through for the Glanworth opener and Bob Sheehan equalised, scoring from a spotter after a foul on Colin Stack.  Paul Crowley then first timed the ball to the Newmarket net off a cross by Tom O'Flynn.

The losers piled on the pressure in the second half but Glanworth, with Patrick O'Brien and Sean O'Connell outstanding, held on well.  Sheehan was man of the match for the losers.

The Hewitt brothers were the stars of the show as Dunbar Celtic surprised inform Tower Street Athletic 5 - 2 in a ding dong battle in Murphy's Stout AUL 3B.  Richie Hewitt grabbed a hat trick, brother Timmy a single, and another veteran Tom O'Leary was also on target for the winners who came back after Mick Fielding had put Tower Street ahead.

Sean Walsh, Ber "Thunder" Tobin, and Chris O'Sullivan, all played well for the winners while Murt Holland and Niall Greaney (scorer of their second goal) did well for the outgunned losers.

Player-manager James Jordan put his boots back on and guided Passage to a 5 - 1 win over Village, thus ending a series of reverses.  Jordan got on the scoresheet as did Gavin O'Connor (2), Kevin O'Rourke, and Martin Murphy.  Pat Andrews and O'Connor were in top form for the winners.

Douglas Hall  3  Temple Utd  1
Ger O'Donovan scored a hat trick as he helped Douglas Hall ousted favorites Temple Utd from the Murphy Youth Cup on a 3 - 1 scoreline.  Barry O'Shea, and Damien O'Callaghan, were others on song for the winners, now through to the semi-finals.

O'Donovan was on full alert and was ready when Joe McSorley's 35 yard free kick crashed against the bar in the 10th minute.  O'Donovan pounced as he did again in the 35th minute when the Temple keeper parried Derek Bowen's 25 yard free kick.

Temple had the wind and slope in their favour in the second half but were badly hit when Douglas broke away with about 20 minutes to go. Bowen led the raid and let fly; again his shot was parried and again the pieces were picked up by O'Donovan.  It stayed at 3 - 0 until the closing minute when Temple got their consolation.

The Youths and Under 17 programme was severly hit by the bad weather and just one game was played in Youths Premier and here Leeds came back to draw 1 - 1 with Midleton after a scoreless first half.  Duncan McCarthy put Midleton ahead in the 63rd minute and five minutes later Jonathan Cooney grabbed the equaliser after a terrific pass by Anthony Buckley. Keeper Stephen Nolan and midfielder Buckley were top players for Leeds, Michael Kenneally, Aidan McSweeney, Robert O'Donovan, and Stuart Costigan, for Midleton.

Just one U17 game survived and here visitors Dunbar drew 3 - 3 with Crosshaven.
Rockvillex, at start of 1999/2000 season

Well done to Mick Dalton and to his young crew at Albert Rovers, the third division outfit who have just been voted the Murphy's Stout AUL Team of the Month for November.

New fixture, Saturday next, 2.00, Munster Junior Cup - Tramore Athletic v Maymount Celtic, Tramore park, MSL.  Blackpool v Maymount is cancelled, Blackpool v Castleview is confirmed.

Hillington v Glenvale is the Murphy's Stout Match of the Week.

Holiday fixture schedule: it is intended that there will be no games on the Christmas weekend; there will be matches, including U17 on the following Friday, no games on the 1st, a full list (including U17) on the 2nd, none on the 3rd.

Murphy's Stout AOH Cup (remaining 4th round and 5th round qualifiers): Buttevant; Kinsale v Grangevale; Rathcoole Rovers; Castle Celtic or Macroom v Tower Street Ath; Bandon A v Mallow Celtic B; Springfield v Donoughmore Ath. A or Hibernians A; Togher Rovers v Millstreet Celtic; Strand Utd; Killumney Utd v Rockville; Blarney Utd A v St John Bosco's B; Glenvale v Fairhill Utd; Glencairn Celtic; Maymount Celtic; Blarney Street Ath. v Dillon's Cross; Ballincollig A v Greenmount Rangers or Coachford; Leeside A.

Murphy's Stout Saxone Cup (5th round): Rathcoole Rovers or Evergreen v Fairhill Utd; Glenthorn Celtic v Donoughmore Ath. or Millstreet Celtic or Strand Utd.

Murphy's Stout Corinthians Cup (3rd round): 1 Cobh Celtic or Bandon B v Churchview Celtic; 2 Pearse Celtic v Tower Street Ath; 3 Everton v Cobh Celtic;
4 Glanworth Utd or Hillington B v Ardmanning Celtic or Village Utd A; 5 Greenwood or Donoughmore Ath. B v Hill Celtic A; 6 Brooklodge Utd v Mayfield Utd; 7 Glencairn Celtic v Rylane Celtic; 8 Mallow Celtic A v Corinthians Ath.

FAI Under 17 Cup (4th round, Cork area): Castleview v Tramore Ath. or St Mary's;
Rockmount or Ballincollig v College Corinthians.  Winners go into last sixteen nationwide.

FAI Youths Cup (4th round, Cork area): Cork City v Ringmahon Rangers or Cobh Ramblers;  Everton v Tramore Athletic; Springfield v Wilton Utd.  Winners go into last sixteen nationwide.

FAI JUNIOR CUP (5th round, Cork teams in open draw): Glenvale or Kinsale v Sky Valley Rangers; Arklow Town v Hibernians or Bandon; Rockmount v St Mochta's; Rockville or Pearse Celtic v Beggsboro or Edenmore.
Extra time and penalties in above games; winners join Corinthians Athletic in the last 32.

Murphy's Stout St Michael's Cup (5th round): Temple United or Grangevale  v  Maymount Celtic; Fairview  v  Kinsale or Blarney Street Ath.

Murphy Youth Cup semi-finals: Everton/Coachford/Dripsey Celtic  v  Grattan Utd/Leeside; Ballincollig or Casement Celtic  v  Douglas Hall.

Twenty years ago

The Cork AUL youths were the best in Ireland in 1979/80.  Tramore Athletic won the Munster and FAI Youths Cup and the AUL won the FAI Inter-League title.  Terry Kearns (from Youghal) scored a last minute extra time winner for Cork against hosts Kilkenny in the inter-league final.  Terry had also scored Cork's first half equaliser in this thrilling match.

The Cork team was: Hogan (Ballincollig), O'Sullivan (Casement Celtic), Begley (Everton), O'Keeffe (Rockmount), O'Donovan (Tramore Ath.) captain, Madden (do.), M. Murphy (do.), L. Murphy (Wilton Utd), Kearns (St Martin's), K. Murphy (UCC Academicals), and O'Connor (Casement Celtic).  Subs used were Long (St Mary's) and Lyons (Ringmahon Rangers).  Team coach was D. Glavin.

Tramore also needed extra time to beat Home Farm 2 - 0 in the FAI Youths final at Turner's Cross, the goals scored by Dave Barry and sub Mick O'Rourke.  The losers had beaten Springfield in the semi-final.

Tramore Ath: Cunningham, Smith, O'Donovan (captain), Madden, Waters, Murphy, Barry, White, O'Regan, Dineen, and Clare.  Subs used were O'Rourke and Leahy.

The Cork AUL juniors were beaten in the semi-final of the Oscar Traynor Cup.  The team that beat Dundalk 3 - 1 in the quarter-final was: A. McCarthy, D. Deveraux, M. Tobin, R. Bickerstaffe, P. Healy, V. Marshall, D. Bennett, L. Naughton, S. Hurley, B. Mulcahy, and P. Foley.  Subs used were J. Daly and J. Lonergan.

Ballincollig defender Pat Healy (whose son now plays with Glasgow Celtic) was named on the Irish panel for a junior international against Scotland in October.  Later in the season, 17 year old Finbarr Hogan (also of Ballincollig) was the only Cork player named in a 16 member Irish Under 17 panel to play in an April tournament in France.  Other players in the squad were Jim Beglin (later with Liverpool) and Gary Howlett (later with Bournemouth).

The AUL Premier League consisted of Castleview, Midleton, St Michael's, Casement Celtic, St Mary's, Douglas Hall, Bohemians, Cobh Ramblers, Greenmount Rangers, Hibernians, and Wembley.

Ard-na-Laoi had a great season, winning both the League and Saxone Cup.  Jamesie O'Leary netted four as they hit a club record in defeating Gunners 10 - 1.  That win was in an unbeaten run that ended at the 22nd game when they were beaten 4 - 2 by Skibbereen Dynamoes in the quarter-final of the Third Division League Cup.

The O'Dwyers of St Michael's (Tipperary) were in scoring form in a 6 - 2 win over Greenmount Rangers: John got a hat trick, Eddie hit two goals, and John Joe contributed one.  Another early season hot shot was Anton Sweeney who scored seven for Bosco's in a 9 - 2 win over Newcastle.

In October Brian Coughlan notched a hat trick of penalties as Ballincollig whipped Macroom International 7 - 0.  A week later, Gerry Horgan of Bweeng did the same in a third division match against Buttevant.  Two months later, Bweeng bagged the highest score of the season when they beat Glenville 14 - 2.

Finbarr Redmond kept two clean sheets on October 27th.  The first was in a minor match against Dunbar Celtic and the second in a Premier League match against Douglas Hall.  Another keeper in good form was Terry Furlong of Bohemians; he saved two penalties as Bohs beat Michael's 2 - 0 in the league.

The major local trophy, the AOH Cup, was won by second division St John Bosco's who beat Greenmount 2 - 1 in the final at Turner's Cross.  All the goals came in the second half.  Skipper Ger Glavin netted twice for the Bosco's while Pat Mulcahy converted a penalty for the losers.

The Bosco's team was: Tony Horgan, Sean Barry, Dec Barry, Kevin Barry, Denis McSweeney, Joe Hartnett, Ger Glavin, Anthony Aherne, John Clery, Billy Aherne, and Anton Sweeney.  Subs (not used) were Kieran O'Donovan and Paddy O'Sullivan.

Casement Celtic won the Premier League.  Their outstanding performer, in their first ever premier title, was centrehalf and team captain Ger O'Sullivan.  The County Cup was won by Ballincollig after a penalty shootout with Carrigaline.  The match itself had ended at 1 - 1, Martin Hogan (captain) scoring for the winners and Leo West for Carrig.

Ard-na-Laoi beat unlucky Carrigaline in the final of the Saxone. The score was 2 - 0 and the marksmen were Brian Gaffney (penalty) and St John Cremin.  The Leemount line-up was:  R. O'Mahony, G. Casey, W. Keohane, B. Gaffney, G. Kavanagh (captain), D. Aherne, M. Horgan, F. Daly, J. O'Leary, A. Feehan, and St J. Cremin.  Subs used: P. Casey and J. Aherne.

Tramore Athletic won all the local youth trophies bar one.  Rockmount took the spotlight here with a 4 - 0 win over St Mary's in the Murphy Cup, the goals scored by John Magee, Brendan Kenneally, Kevin Kearney, and Denis Keane.

At the turn of the year, one of the great characters of local football, Michael Dennehy (of Northvilla), passed away. He had been a player with the old Central Rovers and one time a member of the MFA council. He was a selector of the 1966 Oscar Traynor side and enjoyed this sole Cork triumph in that competition. His fellow selectors were Billy O'Sullivan and Sam Allen (RIP).

Fifteen Years Ago

Carrigaline Utd took the coveted AOH Cup for the first time when they defeated Temple Utd 3 - 1 in the 1985 final. It was Carrig's first time in the final while Temple were making it a hat trick of losing AOH deciders.

Ray Coveney was the hat trick hero for the winners and opened the scoring in the 16th minute when he tapped in a Paddy O'Sullivan cross.  Three minutes before the break he ran onto a through ball and placed a low shot for his second.  Just on half-time he directed a diving header to the net, the cross having been supplied by Paudie Coughlan.

Temple exerted the greater pressure during the second half but their only consolation was Jimmy Brady's 63rd minute strike.  Carrigaline had been badly hit by withdrawals in the run-up to the final and player-manager Kieran "Blondie" McGovern did a great job of re-oganising his depleted forces.

This was the 34th AOH competition and Carrigaline were just the third county side to have its name engraved on the plinth.  Previous county winners were Crosshaven (1952 and 1972) and St John Bosco's (1980).  The only other non city winners were St Michael's (Tipperary) in 1971.  Coveney's hat trick was the first since Davy Hayes got one for Grangevale in the 1978/79 decider.

Carrigaline Utd:  Mick O'Donoghue (captain), Arthur Twomey, George Meade, Eamonn Kelley (man of the match), John Gargan, Kieran McGovern, Paddy O'Sullivan, Jim Turner, Rory McHugh, Ray Coveney, and Paudie Coughlan.  Subs: Eddie Forde for Coughlan (60 minutes) and Dave Molloy for McGovern (76 minutes).

Temple didn't let the cup loss derail their challenge for the Premier League and they took the title with a final game 2 - 1 win over St Mary's who needed just a point.

Temple's panel: Martin O'Sullivan, Danny Deveraux, Tony Kenny, Bertie Cullinane, Noel Cambridge, Austin Ricken, Frank Thornton, Johnny Deveraux, Jimmy Brady, Denis Keane, Denis Daly, Dommie Hussey, John Aherne, Brendan Coade, Anthony Ryan, and Mick Long.

Farnanes took the title in AUL 1, Ballinlough Rovers in 1A, Mallow Utd in 1B.  Western Rovers also booked a place in the Premier League by winning a three way play-off that also involved Ballyvolane and Waterloo.

Douglas Hall had a season long battle with Carrigtwohill in AUL 2 and pipped the East Cork side for the championship.  Crescent continued on the up by winning 2A while manager Barry Murphy and skipper Mick Walsh led Coachford to the title in 2B.

Pat O'Neill got the goal that earned College Corinthians a play-off win over Tonyville and the title in AUL 3.  Tommy Morrissey, Harry Foley, Liam O'Mahony, Peter Farrell, and skipper Michael O'Mahony, all played key roles as Kilreen Celtic won in 3B.  Steve Yelverton coached newcomers Glen Utd as they topped 3A.

Springfield win Youths 1, Glasheen beat Passage in a play-off for the title in Youths 2, while the 2A champs were Ringmahon Rangers.

Cup winners from 1985: St Mary's (St Michael's Cup), Mallow Utd (County Cup), Mayfield Utd (City Cup), Avondale Utd (Saxone Cup), Leeside (President's Cup), Casement Celtic (Murphy Cup), St Mary's (Munster Youths), Springfield (Coca Cola), Passage (Second Division Youths Cup).