Featured post

Mayfield United Photographs Part 2


Match Report
Oscar Traynor Cup

Munster Senior League 1
Cork AUL 4

Venue: O’Shea Park Date: Wednesday, Jan 26
Time: 7.30pm

Reported by: Barry Peelo
The Cork AUL had a successful
opener in the Oscar Traynor Cup following their convincing 4-1 win over neighbours MSL in a lively affair at O’Shea Park last night. It was a sparkling first half performance that really did the damage as goals from Keith Holden, Shane O’Neill and Aaron Kearney saw the AUL take a comfortable 3-0 lead in with them at the break.
Holden added a fourth on 66 and although the MSL pulled one back along with missing a penalty - in the end, the AUL had too much quality and were certainly good value for their win.
The AUL got off to an explosive start and when Graham Keane hoisted a long ball over the top, ace striker Keith Holden showed tremendous power and poise before steadying to pick his spot for the opener after just two minutes.
He could have had a second almost immediately afterwards but, blazed over after James Kirby spilled from a Graham Keane free kick.
At the other end, MSL’s Mark Maher saw his decent effort pushed away by David Lordan.
But, a great chance fell for Derek Delea when after playing a clever one-two with Colin Keane, he rifled over from a good position.
The AUL were certainly on the ascendancy now and when Paul Condon’s free kick reached Keith Holden, the Macroom player swivelled before flashing his effort over.
Minutes later, AUL’s pressure paid off when Shane O’Neill rose to power his header home from Colin Kean’s corner kick on the half-hour.
And it was 3-0 to the AUL soon afterwards when Aaron Kearney was first to Graham Keane’s corner before flicking home his side’s third.
The AUL started lively in the second period and a marvellous chance fell for Keith Holden when a measured pass by Ricki Getting picked him out near the edge of the box but, the usually reliable striker blasted the side netting with the goal at his mercy.
The AUL’s fourth goal came about after a superb passage of play.
Derek Delea slipped the ball on for Shane O’Neill who found Graham Keane to his right and when the overlapping full back crossed low, a clever step-over by Derek Delea provided Holden with the opportunity to blaze nonchalantly into the roof of the net to make it 4-0 on 66.
The MSL refused to be bowed and went on to claw one back through substitute Kristian Dennehy as well as miss a penalty when Mark Maher struck the woodwork with his effort.
But, in the end, the AUL fully deserved the points as they now look forward with confidence to their next home game against Tipperary.