Featured post

Midleton AFC Photographs

Cork AUL's Billy Lyons

AUL Reports omitted from earlier editions of Wed's ECHO


There was a tremendous game in the Regional Park where first division UCC pipped Ballincollig B on spotters after a thrilling 4-4 draw.

Philip Sullivan converted a spotter after a foul on Darren Forde and then right winger Dave McCarthy struck to give Ballincollig a 2-0 lead.

UCC fought back and were looking good when they led 3-2 with a minute to go, all the goals supplied by inform Sean Doyle. But there was time enough for an equaliser, created by Alan O'Flynn and finished off by Eoin O'Keeffe.

The students had a chance to regain the lead in extra time but home keeper Alan O'Mahony saved a spotter by Doyle. And then Dave Hurley’s terrific pass sent O’Flynn clear to put Ballincollig in front only for UCC to equalise from a brilliant last minute free kick by Jack Cogan.

UCC soon had an edge in the shootout, thanks to a save by keeper James Purcell, and the decisive spot kick fell to Doyle. He showed no nerves, his extra time miss put to the back of his mind, and sent the students through.

The top performers here were Dave Hurley, Dave McCarthy, Darren Forde and Rob Quinn for the third division losers, Cogan, Purcell, Doyle and Paul Aherne for their first division conquerors.

There was better luck for Ballincollig’s first team when a double by man of the match Ian Kenneally earned them a 2-0 derby win over Killumney Utd.

Scoreless Greenwood were left to rue missed chances as home side Springfield put two past them to advance. Both were netted by Jason Cronin. The first was scored midway through the first half when John McCarthy provided the assist.

In the second half, Jason Gleeson took advantage of some sloppy defensive work to send Cronin in for his second. Best for Greenwood were Aidan McCarthy and Owen Sweeney while Sean Geary and Gleeson were outstanding for Mossie O'Mahony's winners.

Maymount Celtic, two up at the break, defeated visitors Dunbar Celtic 3-2. Damien Morey opened for Maymount, the assist by Wayne McBride, and then Gordon Philpot played Mickey Bullman through for the second.

Dunbar got one back early in the second half, Paul Walsh on target, before Bullman clinched it midway through with a long range special. Dunbar, who had Scott Crowley and Craig O'Leary in form, got their second in the 88th minute thanks to Willie McCarthy.

Ricky Gettings (3) led the way as Leeside hammered City Wanderers 8-0. Craig Donnelly (2), Jason Keegan, Conor O'Leary and Michael Looney also netted.


After a terrific save by Martin Seumala, Jonathan Quinn struck the decisive spotter as Shandon Celtic pipped Casement 7-6 in the shootout that followed their 1-1 draw at Casement Park in the Murphy’s Stout AOH Cup.

Darren Luttril put Shandon in front after good work by Mark Forde and Martin Carolan and Kevin Cummins equalised with a smashing free kick. Top performers here were John Paul Morrissey, Eric Morley and Paul Griffin for Casement, Forde, Philip Conlon and Jamie O’Sullivan for the victors.

Two John Kelleher goals put Grattan Utd through to next round at the expense of scoreless Dillon’s Cross. Kelleher struck in the first half after a header-on by Harry Goulding. In the second half, eh converted a penalty after a foul on John Paul O’Sullivan. Brian O’Sullivan and Goulding impressed for Grattan.

Donoughmore, short six regulars, put up quite a show against higher ranked Leeds before losing 1-0 to Johnny Cooney’s strike. With Sean O'Mahony in man of the match form, Donoughmore made most of the chances. Others to shine for the county side were Mick Sheehan, Darragh O’Shea and Rob O’Sullivan while midfielders Kevin McGee and Liam Ahern (captain) stood out for Leeds.

Albert Rovers came from two down at the break to reach the next round of the Murphy’s Stout St Michael’s Cup, the knockout trophy for first division teams, with a 12-11 shootout win over Everton after a 2-2 tie.

This was a magnificent match. Everton’s Joe Kelly was breathless at the end but delighted: “It was a great game, a brilliant sporting occasion. Both teams and the referee contributed to it.” Joe Whelton of Alberts agreed: “It was a great game and, for us, a great finish.”

Everton, with centrehalf Ray Laffan and midfielder Alan O'Brien on song, had the edge in the opening half and went in front when Brian O’Donovan headed in a free by Daniel Cooper.

Midway through Everton went two up when Cooper fired in a rocket after a corner had been partially cleared. It could even have had been better as Everton hit a post just before the break.

Alberts, with Kevin O'Leary, Niall Murphy and John Lowry leading the way, made the most of that reprieve and went on to dominate exchanges in the second half.

Kevin O'Leary slipped in the ball from which Michael O’Leary reduced the deficit and then a terrific through pass by Tom O'Neill was finished off by Mick Sadic.

Each side had their moments in extra time and each was denied by the timber before Alberts took the honours in the prolonged shootout.

Shane Brady didn't know much about his first half winner as Ballyvolane B scored a deserved 1-0 away win over Mallow Celtic. Brady was struck on the head by a piledriver from colleague Ron McNeill and the ball cannoned into the net. Best for the winners were Adrian McDonnell and skipper Paul O’Keeffe.