Cork AUL

All the news from the Murphy's Stout Cork AUL and the DISC Cork Youths Soccer Leagues here.
See my old photos in many posts below and also at
(search under AUL).

Monday, January 12, 2015

AUL Nostalgia, for week ending Jan 9th 2005

AUL Nostalgia, for week ending Jan 9th 2005
Inter City, winners away to Blackstone

Blackstone Rovers 2 Inter City Celtic 3

Two weeks back, Inter City Celtic manager Ger O’Riordan generously warned all and sundry: “Watch out. Eoin Sheehy is back.” Sheehy came on as a late second half sub in Saturday’s Murphy’s Stout City Challenge Cup game against Blackstone Rovers and cracked in the extra time winner in a lively 3-2 game.

Third division Blackstone twice came from behind and Inter City needed a fine late save from keeper Paul McCarty but Rovers weren't going to spoil Sheehy’s comeback. He had been out for over a year but showed he’d lost none of his scoring instincts in his short time on the Monard pitch.

Cultural events aside, it was the only game in town on Saturday and produced its own quota of fireworks. Second division Inter City had the better of the first half and took the lead but were pegged back by the interval. Again they went ahead, late in the second half, but Rovers refused to wilt and came up with a smashing injury time equaliser that set the stage for Sheehy’s winner.

Blackstone had the first big chance of the game and that came from a free by Colin O’Leary. He floated a good ball in from the left wing and found Ger O'Brien and his header wasn't too far over.

Two minutes later, Padraig Speight hit a free into the Blackstone box and it broke to Ciaran Speight but keeper Quinn was down on the loose ball very quickly and smothered the danger.

Colin Galvin then featured twice in Blackstone attacks. In the 16th minute, he thumped a good ball into the path of skipper O’Leary but keeper McCarthy read the signals well and raced outside his box to boot clear from the breaking raider. Seconds later, Galvin crossed for Ger O’Brien but his well hit low volley sped wide of McCarthy’s left hand post.

Inter Celtic were quite deliberate in their play and skipper O'Neill was typical, always looking before dispatching his pass. The policy almost paid off midway through when he got Milner in the clear. The offside trap was broken but Milner’s shot, hit under pressure as the backs raced back, went wide.

Andrew O’Brien was off target with a decent Blackstone chance in the 28th minute and they were punished five minutes later when City scored. Keeper Quinn blocked the first attempt from Ciarán Speight but the big number seven blasted in the rebound.

Hartnett regularly worried the right flank of the visiting defence in the first half and, in the 38th minute, he cut in and let fly but his shot just cleared the target.

There was better news for Rovers in the 41st minute. Then Ger O'Brien helped on a throw ball from the right. Ivan Bevan hooked the ball over his head and into the six yard box where the incoming O’Leary shot home the equaliser.

Inter City reacted in the best possible manner and went looking to restore their lead and came very close indeed in the 43rd minute. Then Ciaran Speight took a return pass from namesake Padraig but found keeper Quinn at his feet before he could deliver.

Ciaran should, perhaps, have delivered a lead goal in the next attack. Then he got in behind the defence and shot past the advancing keeper. Colleague Coleman reckoned the ball was going wide and touched it home but the referee rightly ruled that he was in an offside position.

The second half, for some reason, was not quite so lively. Inter City made two changes at the break and one of those was designed to limit the effectiveness of Hartnett and manager Ger O’Riordan succeeded in that aim.

Hartnett’s confidence can’t have been helped by a couple of incidents in the 63rd minute. In the first, he put his own defence in huge danger by slicing a clearance across the box and they had to concede a corner.

That flag kick was quickly cleared and it was the turn of Inter to make a big mistake. Hartnett raced in behind the defence and intercepted a square ball but his finish was very poor and the mistake went unpunished.

There was another dangerous moment for the winners midway through. Then, after a quick free kick, Ger O’Brien got in a terrific cross but Emmet Herlihy saved the day with a brilliant clearing header.

Sheehy had made his return to playing action in the 68th minute and should have scored with his first touch, in the 74th. He could hardly believe that there was no whistle when he collected a long ball over the top and hesitated. And that gave the excellent Quinn the chance to close him down and block the shot at close quarters.

Inter took the lead for the second time three minutes later. Sub Tony Linehan caused all kinds of problems with his long throw into the box and there was a string of goal attempts before fellow sub John Breen whacked the loose ball home from about eight yards.

Inter, who play in 2A, had the chances to finish off the underdogs and spare us all the extra twenty minutes in the bitter cold. In the 79th minute, the hard–working Gordon Lynch knocked a great ball on for Ciarán Speight. He raced on and let fly past advancing keeper Quinn and saw his shot knock paint off the post as it sped wide.

With three minutes to go, sub Sheehy held his nerve in the box and squared a beat ball to Ciaran but this time the shot was incredibly weak and straight at keeper Quinn.

Blackstone had been somewhat unlucky in between. Then Celtic skipper O'Neill lunged at a ball coming into the box and missed it. It ran onto to Ger O’Brien but his dipping shot cleared the bar by inches.

It looked good for Celtic as the game entered its second minute of injury time but one of their full backs was called up for obstructing play by sitting on the ball. Player-manager Tony Dunlea floated the free into the six yard box and neither Linehan nor keeper McCarthy cut it out and it fell to Tony Leahy beyond the far post and he drilled a beauty back across the gaol and in by the far post.

But Leahy’s joy was short-lived. In the 18th minute of extra time, he was outfoxed in a midfield exchange by O’Neill and the Inter skipper sent the perfect through ball to the feet of Sheehy who nudged it past the advancing keeper and, with two defenders snapping at his heels and the angle rapidly narrowing, showed all his old poaching skills by coolly turning the ball into the empty net.

This Blackstone team, chasing promotion in 3B, never give up and they illustrated that in the final minute. Then McDonnell worked his way through the crowded middle and picked out Dunlea on the right. The manager guided an inviting ball towards the penalty spot and the incoming Galvin, though under pressure, got in a strong header. Keeper McCarthy though wasn't about to rely on the shootout to make his name and made a splendid close range save and City were through to the second round in which they’ll play either Bishopstown or Glenthorn Celtic B.

Blackstone Rovers: Noel Quinn, Eoin O'Brien, George O’Hara, Colin Bevan, Ger O'Brien, Tony Leahy, Colin Glavin, Andrew O'Brien, Ivan Bevan, Colin O'Leary (captain) and Trevor Hartnett. Subs used: George McCarthy for I. Bevan (58th minute), Wayne Lee for Hartnett (72nd) and Tony Dunlea for A. O'Brien (82nd).
Inter City Celtic: Paul McCarthy, Damien Hayes, Brian Milner, Barry O’Neill (captain), Ciaran Speight, Emmett Herlihy, Gordon Lynch, Aidan O'Brien, Jamie Coleman, Sean Horgan and Padraig Speight. Subs used: Tony Lenihan and John Breen for O'Brien and Coleman (at half-time) and Eoin Sheehy for Milner (68th minute).
Referee: Brendan O’Regan.
Inter City (red) v Blackstone (blue). Ref is Brendan O'Regan

Man of the Match? Not an easy one. Blackstone keeper Noel Quinn didn't do much wrong and Colin Bevan had an excellent game in the heart of their defence. Skipper Colin O’Leary was always willing to take responsibility while winger Trevor Hartnett had a brilliant first half but a miserable second.

Celtic keeper Paul McCarthy had a sound game aside from his role in the extra time equaliser. The front pair of Ciaran Speight and Brian Milner worked well together even if they didn't reach their full potential. Their captain Barry O'Neill was always on the spot in midfield, created quite a few opportunities, including the winner, and gets the nod.

A word too for referee Brendan O’Regan. He suffered an ankle injury in a recent accident (on the way home from a game) and the heavy going and extra time was no help and he was limping by the end. But he kept on going and did a good job. Well done!

Midfield ace Alan King was the hat trick hero for Maymount Celtic as they turned on the style in Clare last Saturday to defeat Lifford Oldtown 5-0. The big win puts Maymount, remember all their players are Under 17, into the quarter-finals of the Lucozade Sport Munster Youths Cup where they’ll entertain the winners of the Abbeyfeale v Dunbar Celtic game.

Maymount secretary John Murphy was delighted with the quality of the pitch and the officials and particularly with the major contribution from the often under-rated King. “But it really was a great team show overall and you wouldn’t want to pick out individuals, other than the scorers.”

King began his hat trick in the 15th minute when he finished off good work by Johnny Barrett. Maymount did have something of an edge in the first half. Oldtown did have their chances but U17 international Jamie Meehan came close to extending the Maymount lead when his volley crashed back off a post.

Meehan did have the satisfaction of setting up the opening goal of the second half when his pin point cross was volleyed in by King. Then Daniel Duggan broke and crossed and Barrett outjumped the Clare defence to head the third.

Barrett was also in top form and he then took on the keeper in a one to one and squared the ball to Howard Coakley who tapped in number four and it was a Coakley break that led to King firing in his third.

Greenmount Rangers defeated visitors Killumney United 3-0 and, by virtue of their earlier kick-off time, became the first team to qualify for the fifth round of this season’s Murphy’s Stout AOH Cup.

The game was switched from the ESB Grounds to Murphy’s Farm and Greenmount’s Plunket Carter was there: “The pitch was heavy but definitely playable. Both teams had their chances in the first half an hour but we were probably guilty of more misses. Conditions were difficult enough for forwards and probably helped defenders.”

The breakthrough came in the 35th minute and followed a multi-pass move. Stephen Heaphy, Gearoid O'Leary and Kevin O’Neill were all involved in the build-up and Mickey O'Leary did the necessary.

“Killumney, as is their way, came at us at the start of the second half and we were under a but of pressure and our keeper Tommy Corcoran had to make some good saves,” said Plunket. “On the other hand, we also had our chances before our superior fitness told in the closing fifteen minutes and we scored two fine goals.”

Following a spell of Greenmount pressure, scorer O’Leary rolled the ball into the path of inter-league ace Damien O’Neill and he fired a twenty yard rocket to the top corner. With time running out, a Greenmount corner was half cleared and Donal O’Shea volleyed the loose ball in for their third.

Greenmount’s back four, which consisted of Eddie Cotter, Gavin O'Leary, AUL captain Gearoid O'Leary and Damien O’Neill, played soundly throughout. O’Neill though was outstanding and crowned a magnificent display with that stunning strike.

Darren Forde scored two second half gems as Ballincollig B came from behind to defeat half-time leaders Doneraile 3-1 in the Murphy’s Stout County Cup.

Forde was also involved in the second half equaliser. His shot was handled and Philip Sullivan equalised from the penalty spot. Then Rob Quinn was fouled. Alan O’Flynn floated in the free kick and Forde’s fine header put the visitors 2-1 up.

Quinn then broke and sent over the perfect cross. Forde controlled it on the run before dispatching the ball to the corner of the net to clinch a fine away win. Forde, Quinn and evergreen midfielder Noel Hogan all excelled for Ballincollig.

Village B managed Denis Murray was delighted with his side’s 2-0 away win over Grattan United in the City Challenge Cup: “It was a very good game in the heavy going and our lads really put in a great team effort. Both our goals came in the first half. Alan Daly opened in the 15th minute when he turned in a right wing cross by David Murray and, fifteen minutes later, Daly turned provider and Francis McNamara made it 2-0.”

If you’re looking for a game on a bad day, head out to Leemount. And that pitch once again came up trumps on Sunday morning when home side Ard-na-Laoi took on Fairview in a game in Murphy’s Stout AUL 2A. The points were shared on a 1-1 scoreline.

Fairview had the better of the first half but went in a goal behind. The city side, against the wind, were under pressure in the second half but managed a late equaliser.

Midfielder Val Hennessy was twice unlucky for the ‘View in the first half when he saw two efforts taken off the line. Ard-na-Laoi went ahead in the 35th minute when Pat Ryan sent Dave Buckley in to score.

Daren Mannix played the pass from which Stuart Thompson made it 1-1 in the 80th minute. Mannix was unlucky in the closing seconds when his effort was taken off the line. Top players here were keeper Aidan Gore and defender Graham Broadbin for Ard-na-Laoi, defender Colm O’Shea and midfielder Hennessy for Fairview.

Jim O’Sullivan headed in the 70th minute winner off a Pat Dennehy free as Los Zarcos defeated visitors Strand United 1-0 in AUL 3A. Dennehy, Ken Cremin and John Paul Buckley were in excellent form for the winners.

Keim FC, from Millstreet like Los Zarcos, made the long journey to Mitchelstown and lost 6-1 to Park Utd B. The visitors were 2-1 down at the break but Park, well led by Darren O’Grady and the experienced Ned Finn, went on the rampage. Park’s first half scorers were Gary Lynch and Kieran Walsh while John O’Sullivan (2), Lynch again and Eamonn O’Sullivan netted in the second.

Harp United 2 Togher Celtic 4

Visitors Togher Celtic improved their promotion hopes in Murphy’s Stout AUL 3 with a deserved 4-2 win over hosts Harp United at Monard on Sunday morning. This southside derby at the northside venue was played in heavy rain and heavy underfoot conditions but Togher settled the better and took their chances. 

To their credit, Harp made them fight all the way for their three points. The underdogs are not having a great season but showed terrific spirit. They were three down at the break but rallied to 3-2 before Togher finally sealed it with a fourth goal in the 70th minute.

Togher got off to a great start. In the 5th minute, Eric Pender arrived on cue at the near post and turned in a cross from the left to open the scoring.

Two minutes later, Harp keeper Colm Fitzgerald made a marvellous save from a well driven effort by Barry McGhee but had no chance when Trevor Cassidy rose high at the near post to head in the Togher second.

Harp then had an opportunity when Ken Downey was put in by Mick Delea but his effort to lob the advancing Togher goalkeeper failed when Damien Budden stretched just enough to divert the ball away from the target.

Harp’s keeper Fitzgerald was tested gain soon afterwards but again responded magnificently to turn a cracking Paul Dooley effort over the top.

But the Togher pressure mounted and they extended their lead to three in the 15th minute.  Harp’s failure to clear their lines after a corner was punished when Mark Hennessy smashed the ball into the back of the net.

It was all Togher at this stage and it took a fine tackle by Mick Delea to prevent Mark Hennessy getting in on goal. Togher were awarded a corner kick and Mick Gallahue floated a dangerous ball into the box but this time it was cleared by the Harp defence.
But only to the waiting Paul Dooley whose 30-yard effort was eventually booted off the line.

Harp’s defence continued to improve against the strong rain and wind and when Togher forced three corners in quick succession, the Harp held firm.

Harp’s Cian Horgan had a 35 yarder effort on target but it proved no problem to Budden and, just before half time, Togher’s Mark Hennessy fired narrowly wide from an acute angle on the right.

The second half was just two minutes old when Harp were awarded a penalty kick and Pat Sullivan stepped up to confidently place his shot beyond the reach of Budden.

And more trouble for Budden in the 54th minute as Harp began to make their wind advantage count. Philip Moore sent a great ball down the middle and released Pat Guilfoyle. He broke through the poor offside trap, ran on and rounded the keeper before netting Harp's second.

Harp now had the majority of the chances but Togher came close enough when Daniel Woods forced keeper Fitzgerald into impressive action and then substitute Keith O’Donovan headed inches over the Harp bar from close range.

Harp had their best chance to get the equaliser when Ken Downey exchanged passes with Kevin Donovan before letting fly but Budden made a good save and the 20 yard shot came to nothing.

Harp’s Horgan then fired over the bar from 30 yards out just before Togher were to get their fourth and final goal in the 70th minute. Pat Sullivan outjumped the home defence and his thumping header went in off the bottom of the post to seal the victory.

Chances at both ends as the game came to a close. Pender was close to connecting with a dangerous cross in the Harp box and, at the other end, Joe Madden’s headed effort was scrambled away to safety.

Harp Utd: Colm Fitzgerald, Mick Delea, Pat Guilfoyle, Phillip Moore, Joe Madden, Cian Horgan, Ken Downey, Finbarr Aherne, Kevin Donovan, Pat Sullivan and Niall Dorney.
Togher Celtic: Damien Budden, Gavin Woods, Barry McGhee, Trevor Cassidy, Tony O’Leary, Dave O’Connell, Daniel Woods, Eric Pender, Mick Gallahue, Paul Dooley and Mark Hennessy. Subs used: Keith O’Donovan for Hennessy (60th minute) and Seamus Biggarr for D. Woods (62nd).
Referee: Thomas Lynch

Grangevale AFC

Grangevale keeper Alfie McCarthy didn't miss much but he did lose out when Grange won their one and only AOH Cup in 1979. Alfie did play in the early rounds but by the time Grange got to the Cross and hammered Northvilla in the decider, McCarthy had switched to Cork Celtic where he played for two seasons before going back to Grangevale.

Grangevale’s John Foley says that Alfie, who played with the AUL Oscar Traynor team, is now part of a very successful set up with the Ladies section of Douglas Hall. “Alfie and his wife Irene are still regulars in Grange Vale Park on match days. In 2003 most of the '79 team met up for the club’s fiftieth anniversary dinner where a lot of games were replayed at the bar.”

And the name of Davy Hayes popped up regularly in the reminiscing for Davy made AOH history that day against Northvilla by becoming the first player ever to score a hat trick in an AOH final and that feat earned him a quick call up to the AUL representative team. Davy is manager of Grange Vale B this season and the only one of the team still involved with the club. He also lines out on a regular basis for the third division side.

Others from the 1979 team still playing in the 1984/85 season and in the photo (taken in September 1984) were Val Morris, Colm Moore, John Varian (goal keeper for the final) and Martin Corkery. The management team in 84/85 year was Joe Hunter and Sean (Jack) Buckley and the Committee consisted of Donie Cronin, Dave
Williamson and Noreen Williamson.

Founder-member Donie Cronin was a teenager when he made his debut for Grangevale in their first ever game against Blackrock in the Douglas Festival Cup in 1944.  Davy Williamson, winner of a Distinguished Service Award in 1997, is another long-term Grangevale stalwart.

The September ‘84 photo was taken prior to a game with Blackpool Celtic in AUL 1A, a division that would eventually be won by local rivals Ballinlough Rovers with Western Rovers in second spot. Grangevale didn't do too badly and finished joint third with Castleview while Blackpool just escaped relegation, Hibernians the sole team to take the drop.

Davy Hayes had scored in a midweek 1-1 draw with Passage and their marksmen in a 3-1 decision over Blackpool were Val Morris, Gerry Murphy and new signing Jimmy Higgins. Those in the photo are (back row, l to r): John Varian, Alfie McCarthy, Jim Leahy, Dave Hayes, Ger Murphy and Jimmy Higgins. Front row, left to right: Colm Moore, Val Morris, Martin Corkery, Mick Lordan, and Frankie Lang.

The weather was better on the 6th of January 1985 and a full programme of AUL games took place. 

Pat Chandley, father of Leeds defender Colin, had better luck than his son had last Sunday and he helped Grattan Utd to a thrilling shootout win over Wilton Utd in an AOH Cup replay. Pat Walsh put Grattan ahead in the game and Willie Hennessey equalised.

Goals from Austin Ricken (2), Johnny Deveraux and Frankie Thornton earned Temple Utd a 4-2 win over Ballincollig in the area semi-final of the FAI Junior Cup. There were no goals in the other semi between St Mary’s and Greenmount.

Jimmy Corkery and Mick Keane netted for third division St John’s (of Ovens)  but they lost 4-2 in the County Cup against higher ranked Cobh Wanderers. Brideview were too strong for visitors Macroom and goals from Philly Curley (2), Ray Fraser and Mick Curley earned the Tallow team a 4-1 advance.

In the Saxone Cup, holders Carrigtwohill Utd were much too strong for AOH Utd and goals by Martin Donnelly (3), Paul Cahoon and Karl Sylvester earned the East Cork team a 5-2 win.

Pat Collins and Neil Browner were on the mark for Casement Celtic as they posted a comfortable 2-0 win over Douglas Hall in the Premier League.

In the first division, Ballyvolane were shocked 4-3 by visitors Rockmount whose marksmen were Dan Cassidy (2), Martin O’Donovan and Paul McGonagle. Mick Atkins scored for Glenvale but they were pipped 2-1 by Glasheen whose scorer was Liam O’Donovan (2).

Springfield, thanks to goals by Niall Abbott and U17 international Michael Ireland, pipped Greenwood 2-1 in a replay in the FAI U17 Cup; Jim Morris scored for the losers.

The weekend’s AUL results

Murphy’s Stout City Challenge Cup: Grattan Utd B 0 Village Utd B 2; Blackstone Rovers 2 Inter City Celtic 3 (aet).

Murphy’s Stout County Cup: Ballincollig B 3 Doneraile 1; Park Utd 6 Keim FC 1,

Murphy’s Stout AOH Cup: Leeds 0 Coachford 3; Greenmount Rangers 3 Killumney Utd 0.

Murphy’s Stout AUL 2A: Ard-na-Laoi 1 Fairview 1.

Murphy’s Stout AUL 3: Harp Utd 2 Togher Celtic 4.

Murphy’s Stout AUL 3A: Los Zarcos 1 Strand Utd 0.

Lucozade Sport Munster Youths Cup: Lifford Oldtown (Clare) 0 Maymount Celtic 5.

end of story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.